Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of utensil do you use with stainless steel?

Posted by chrstna446 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 3, 05 at 16:00

I made a stew with my new All-Clad and used a stainless steel spoon and noticed a lot of scratches after cleaning. :( Should I only use wood or plastic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of utensil do you use with stainless steel?

Wood and plastic are good but the best is silicone. Silicone is very good as it gives just a little so it never scratches, some plastic are so stiff they can scratch. I use wood sometimes, but they are harder to clean than silicone.

o

I use all stainless stuff except in my nonstick pan I use a nylon spoon. The marks are not an issue as they don't affect the way the pot works.

Good luck!

o

All-Clad is sturdy cookware and meant to be used. What good is a saucepot or saute pan if you can't use a wire whisk in it? One of the benefits of a stainless steel cooking surface is that you can use metal utensils. Don't worry about micro-scratches, they won't effect performance and as long as you keep your All-Clad clean it will look great

o

Those are not scratches, that is the beginning of a beautiful patina.

o

I'm no expert, but I do have age on my side and I was going to say what Fairegold said!

o

Good stainless steel is for serious, aggressive cooking. I use anything short of a chisel in mine. If I wanted to have to baby my pots and pans, I'd have gotten some non-stick or anodized stuff. I chose my All-Clad SS so I could use whatever I wanted to cook with, then throw it in the dryer. It really hasn't scratched, but I'd have no regrets if it did, because it would still function great for decades to come.

o

OUCH Spewey, you mean throw it in the dishwasher, not dryer! That would be LOUD!

o

Ooops, sorry Jessy, maybe I am on the laundry forum too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here