Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonjo_gw

Cast Iron vs. Stainless in browning fish?

bonjo
16 years ago

Last night I had 1 1/2 pounds of beautiful wild caught cod that I was going to cook for dinner. It called for salt and pepper, lemon, parsley, capers, garlic, and fresh home brined green olives sliced, white wine, Pretty simple. It called for browning quickly in a small amount of oil and

butter. Hubby and I differ on what pan is best for what, so it became a toss up over what I wanted to use (cast Iron) and what he thought (Stainless Steel) He also wanted to leave butter out and use only olive oil. We don't do non stick. So I gave the stainless steel a go. The fish turned into oily fish paste as the fish stuck to the bottom of the pan,hubby then added more oil. It just got worse when he added the rest of the ingredients. Finally he drowned it all in white wine. By now I'm drinking the wine and have given up on saving this dish. He said it wouldn't matter with such a delicate fish, it would fall apart in any pan. We hardly ever disagree on anything by the way! I did say that when I pay top dollar for high quality food items I really do not want to be eating hash. Any thoughts on this out there?

Comments (4)