Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ultrex

Posted by sparky932 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 15:23

I'm still shaken by the cover of my Ultrex pan exploding. I took the cover off the pan to add other ingredients. I set it down on the counter, which was room temperature obviously, as I had done many times before, wham! There was glass everywhere, even in my boots. This is the replacement set I recieved from HSN, the other set was recalled because of its explosive nature, and potential for severe damage.....Its all going in the garbage, I'm afraid to use it....Beware!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ultrex

I'm wondering if your cover imploded rather than exploded. Either way both are very scary events to witness. I've seen both with lab ware but not with any cookware. Putting a hot dome shaped glass cover onto a cool counter top might cause a vacuum to form in the air space that is between the counter and the underside of the cover. Any steam condensing into liquid water droplets on the underside of the cover undergoes a tremendous reduction in volume upon cooling. Glassware cannot take much pressure or vacuum exerted upon it especially if there are any scratches on the glass. If this is indeed the mechanism that caused your incident, this could happen with other brands of glass covers too.

Have you ever in the past experienced your hot cover ever wanting to stick a bit to your counter top when you picked it up to put it back on your pot?

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here