Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msafirstein

I need new cookware

msafirstein
18 years ago

We are remodeling our home and adding an addition for my new kitchen.

I would love to get new cookware to go along with everything else. I am planning on an all gas range, electric oven and an Advantium.

I was at Tuesday Morning and picked up a Vitrex casserole with a see-thru lid and vent which is nice but I would like something heavier for my frying pans and soup pot. I did have a set of cast iron but these were just too heavy!

How well do the see-thru lids hold up over time?

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• eandhl
    18 years ago

This is just my personal opinion, I have one pan with a glass lid, don't really care for it too much. Heavier that my plain SS. Nice to see the food thru it though.
    I have a combo of Cuisinart SS and All Clad SS and love them. The AC is heavier and better for slower cooking. The cuisinart has the copper sandwiched disc and good for braising, browning, pasta water and fast veggies. It gets to hot to simmer in.

• happygram
    18 years ago

New cookware is fun to choose and buy. I have some All Clad stainless steel pieces and like them very much. They can be put into the dishwasher if you want, although I don't do it very much because they take up so much room. I wouldn't buy a set but look at and hold the pieces you might be interested in buying. Some handles are more/less comfortable than others depending on your grip and hand size. I've heard wonderful things about cast iron too, but I don't have much experience with them. My daughter has Scanpan which was supposed to be non stick. It turned out not to be. In my very humble opinion, I'd rather have a few really good pieces instead of many not so good ones. Also, if there's a TJMaxx, a Tuesday Morning, or a Marshalls anywhere near by, they sometimes have random good cooking pots and pans.

• nolanfelix
    18 years ago

Check out www.lifeware.us for the cookware that I recently purchased. It's as amazing as it states. Phenominal quality and the food looks and tastes better. Thanks and good luck!

• msrevise
    18 years ago

I'm in the same boat as the OP, and I'm wondering what is the best type of cookware for sauteing, as i do a lot of that? Sounds like it wouldn't be all-clad, if that's better for slow-cooking. Right now I mainly use farberware w/the copper disk, a wok, and a cast-iron skillet. I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace the farberware, or it'll melt on my new stove...

• jono123
    18 years ago

FWIW, I think All Clad is very good for sauteing. I have been impressed. While sauteing onions, my old pan would brown/burn some before the others. With the AC, everything seems to brown evenly.

Cook's Illustrated rates AC tops for sauteing.

If you do you sauteing over high heat, cast iron is probably the way to go.

• sburkhart
    18 years ago

The Pampered Chefs Executive Cookware is just what I was looking for.... It has a lifetime guarantee, oven safe upto 400^, soft-grip handles, hard anodized aluminuim reinforced titanium alloy, Autograph 2 nonstick coating on the inside & out, dripless pouring rims, flat bottoms, and is thick gauged. Heavy but not toooo heavy, you know what I mean. There are sets and open stock pieces... The conduction of heat is amazing... I use the skillet not only for cooking but for thawing.... you are not going to believe this but I took a pack of 2 packs of steak from the freezer. I sat them both on a cutting board then I place one my EXC. skillets on top of one and not the other. The one with the skillet thawed in 30 minutes the other took about 75 minutes.... HOW COOL IS THAT!!!
    I hope you find what you are looking for!!

If you'd like to check the cookware out, just let me know and i will send you a website link....

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022