Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

Never bought an oven proof pan with lid - which one?

ginjj
15 years ago

In all my years of cooking for my family I never had any kind of a pan that allowed me to fry something on the stove and then cover and put it in the oven. I just heard a great recipe on the radio which I'll post below and it calls for such a pan. I know there is lots out there but have no idea what to get. I don't want to pay alot of money unless that's necessary. I'm only cooking for two these days but have a renewed interest in cooking. I love this forum and hearing from many others who still enjoy cooking.

Thanks much and Happy Valentines Day!!

Ginny

Braised Beef Short Ribs from

Tra Vigne Restaurant in St Helena, California. Recipe provided by shared by Gene Burns, KGO Radio

For the brine:

2 quarts water

1 cup light brown sugar, packed

1 cup kosher salt

1 bay leaf

5 juniper berries

For the short ribs:

4 pounds meaty beef short ribs (He likes Costco ribs)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or more if needed

2 medium onions, chopped

1 large carrot, chopped

1 head of garlic, unpeeled and cut in half crosswise

2 cups beef broth or stock

1 cup dry red wine

1/2 cup Sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)

1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes

Make the brine by combining water, sugar, salt, bay leaf and juniper berries in a pot and simmering over medium heat until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Cool the mixture to room temperature. Add the short ribs to the brine and chill, covered, in the refrigerator for at least four and up to 24 hours (longer is better).

After brining, remove short ribs from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Discard the brine. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Heat vegetable oil in a heavy ovenproof pot with a tight fitting lid over medium high heat on top of stove with the lid off. Sauté the ribs in the heated vegetable oil in batches until browned on all sides. Set aside on a platter.

Add the onions, carrot and garlic to the pot and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden, about eight minutes. Stir in stock, wine, vinegar and tomatoes, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the ribs and any juices on the platter to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot with the lid and transfer to the preheated oven.

Braise in the oven until meat is tender, about two and a half to three hours. Remove ribs from sauce and discard garlic skin, which should have separated from the cloves of garlic. Serve the ribs with the sauce on the side.

This dish is even better if cooked a day ahead, chilled overnight (leaving the ribs in the sauce) and reheated the next day. Remove solidified fat before reheating.

Serves four.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County