Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wusthof Knives

Posted by rjlois (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 13:33

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping that someone can help me. I am going to be purchasing a set of Wusthof knives and I can't decide which handle style to chose. I have been considering the Culinar because of the intregal handle but I wondered if it would get slippery when wet. Since there are seven differnt styles, I wondered if anyone had any advice on which to chose. These knives are a purchase of a lifetime for me and so I want ot make sure that my money is well spent.

Lois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wusthof Knives

Are you going to purchase those knives from a nearby store? Does that store have a good return policy?

The Global chef's knife I tested felt OK in my hand when wet, but it had a textured metal handle. The Wusthof Culinar line has smooth handles...

As you've said, this is a purchase of a lifetime for you and only YOU can tell how a knife feels in your hand so take them home, try them and see how you like them.

Even if those handles are not slippery when wet, you still need to know if they are a best fit for your hand.

o

I strongly suggest you try the different Wusthoff knives and ask at a reputable shop. I went expecting to buy one of the henkles and ended up with wusthoff classic. It felt the most comfortable. I to would question the handle feeling like it is slipping in my hand.

o

I have 12 pieces from the Culinar series - they DO NOT slip when wet. The performance is ubelievable. They are incredibly comfortable, very sturdy, of substantial weight, and truly GORGEOUS. Go with them!

o

We have the Grand Prix...feel comfortable to me. I think they are all fine, just choose whichever style you like best.

o

I have a large set of the Wusthof Classic knives. VERY comfortable and LOOK super in my kitchen. They get their name from their looks.... it is a very "Classic" look which I like. The Culinar line, although nice, had too much of a "Modern" look. PLUS, the Culinar line is more expensive than the Classic or Grand Prix.

But, as others suggested, try to get your hands on each one of them to see what feels best to you. Look around for a Chesapeake Knife store, they usually carry all three.

Tim

o

Since I have large hands (size 8- 8/12 glove), I went with the Wusthof Grand Prix (original Grand Prix, since I've had them for years). They are a dream to work with and fit like a hand-in-glove ;o) It will depend on what's comfortable for you. Make sure you "test drive" them before purchasing, and buy them based on how they feel vs. how they look. Keep in mind that a knife that doesn't fit your hand well is an accident waiting to happen.

o

Thanks for the help everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here