Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper care

Posted by Cocomartinez (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 05 at 12:50

I need to replace my 10" skillet and have been eyeing the copper-clad models because they're so beautiful.

Any advice on the care and feeding of copper clad pots and pans? Should I just stick with stainless and shove them in the dishwasher?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper care

If you don't polish copper, it will become dull like brass or silver. I don't particularly like the look but others may. I used to have Revereware years ago when the copper cladding on the bottom was en vogue :)

That said, the thin layer of copper used to clad most pots is purely decorative and really doesn't add functionality. A real copper pan would be solid copper with a lining. A copper bowl (unlined) has special properties which aid in beating eggs.

If you like the look of patina or want to polish your pans frequently, go for copper. Otherwise, you will be happier with a lower maintenance pan like stainless steel.

o

Folks who have really beautiful copper pans either a) don't ever use them or b) clean them after EACH use!

o

I use my copper pans frequently and I have never bleached them. i clean the inside normally and use a powdered copper cleaner on the bottoms/outside , dry them and hang them back up.

http:webpages.charter.net/parkavenue/window.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: pot rack with copper pots

o

I swear by Twinkle, a paste formula copper cleaner my Mom uses for the bottoms of her 1954 wedding-gift RevereWare. It dissolves the tarnish on copper easily, especially if you use it fairly regularly and don't let the gunk build up. It's easy to do if you don't let them go - no harder than wiping your stainless dry to prevent water spots. If you let the gunk build up, it will take a couple minutes to get it off, though. If you love the look of copper, it is well worth it... why don't you get one pan, and see how it goes?

o

copper can easily be cleaned with the Twinkle, with paste copper cleaner or with vinegar and salt. Any of these make it shine. But sometimes I don't clean my pans for years and I love them just as much and it doesn't affect how they cook.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here