Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restoring Bone-handled silverware

Posted by Maryincville (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 10:37

Gulp! My antique bone-handled sterling was sent through the dishwasher. Now the handles feel dry and look kind of white (like wood that was sent through the dishwasher).

Vengence is one thought...but it won't restore my silverware (VBG)! Can anyone out there help me bring my silverware handles back to some semblance of their prior patina?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restoring Bone-handled silverware

Oh Dear!....Maybe try mineral oil?
Sending sympathy none the less.
Linda c

o
RE: Restoring Bone-handled silverware

One of the forum members (corgilvr) recently shared a forumula which is working fantastically on all my wood products. She also uses it on her soapstone for protection, and it might work on your bone handles as well.

Pour one part Mineral Oil to one part natural Beeswax (shredded) into a pot and heat gently until the wax is dissolved. Rub your counters, wooden utensils, etc. to add a protective coat. It's best applied while warm; darkens the surface somewhat, and I was pleasantly surprised to see water beading up on top of my butcherblock island. I love this stuff. (Thanks Debbie!)

If you decide to try it, would you come back and let us know how it worked for you? I'm getting ready to rub this on my knife handles...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here