Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time posting Did I made a mistake by buying a Cookware set

Posted by Catalan (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 05 at 10:36

I Wish I had found this place 2 weeks ago. I were in NEED to get new pot and pans. Everything in my kitchen was falling apart. I did as much reserach as I could and made a desicion.

I ended up ordering a set of SCANPAN that has:
Product Features
11" Fry Pan
2 qt. Sauce Pan with Lid
3 qt. Sauce Pan with Lid
11" Saute Pan with Lid
6.5 qt. Dutch Oven with Lid

I got it at Metrokitchen.com

Now I found your site and the majority of you suggest to buy different pieces and not a whole set. Is there a reason for that?? The 2qt, 3qt and the Fry pan are pices that I use almost everyday and the dutch oven a couple times a month. The Saute pan Not as often.

Out of all the Non sticks out there this was the only set that I thought would last me the longets. Based on some reviews I read.

Should I stick with it or should I return it and if so then what should I go with??? I am used to Non-stick because that's pretty much what I have had. I have two pieces of stainless steel at home but I hardly ever use them.

This is all so confusing. Thanks for your help.

I seriously need pots soon. My old pots are all peeling off and the aluminum at the bottom is showing. I am very desperate. I have not used the Scanpan set yet (they arrived yesterday). The set looks very nice and it feels substancial ad unlike my old set the bottom is REALLY flat :o)

Thank You

Cat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time posting Did I made a mistake by buying a Cookware

Some people don't feel you should purchase a cookware set, but IMO when you need to start from scratch a set gives you a base and you can build from there.

From what I've read the scanpan non-stick is a good product.

o

The major issue most people have with sets is two-fold -- either the material of which the pots/pans are made is not optimal for every task; or you end up with pieces in the set which are not as useful to you as, say, a smaller or larger piece might be.

When I bought my Cuisinart Everyday, I was quite tempted to buy a set -- the prices per pot/pan are much better than buying from open stock. But I already had all the frying/saute pans I needed and I already had some Le Creuset I could use for the stuff it's good at. So, when I got down to the pieces I really wanted, either they were not part of a set, or I would have had spend money on open-stock cookware anyway.

If you needed "everything" and you got it in the set, you got a good deal. Scanpan is decent stuff; I would not sweat returning it. You've done your homework; if it works for you the way you did it, great!

o

It sounds like the set includes items that you know you'll use. Use them and let us know how they fare!

o

I think some cooks prefer certain pans for certain tasks (I used to use cas iron for certain things, but quickly learned to do without when I no longer want to work with the weight of the pans. I think more people don't like some of the pieces in sets. Me, I never saw a use for a one qt. pan or a 7 inch fry pan. Everything in your set sound useful. I know several people here and one friend loves their scanpans. Enjoy!

o

I have a ScanPan set that I've had for several years, and I personally don't care for it much. It takes a long time to heat up, is very heavy and gradually becomes less and less non-stick. I don't even bother using the frying pan anymore but bought a Calaphon non-stick that I use instead. The nice thing with the ScanPan is being able to use metal utensils, but I could easily live without that! It's not really hard to clean up, just not quite what I expect for non-stick. No non-stick surface to flake off though!

o

Interesting. I read here that the Scanpan wok is the BOMB and so I ordered one. I just got it and haven't used it yet. Wondering now if I've made a mistake, based on the previous poster's comments. It was $100.

o

Well, I've seen comments that the newer Scanpans aren't as bad at losing their nonstick. But then, they haven't been around as long, so who knows! But I sure as heck wouldn't cook eggs in them.

o

You should do what you want to not put too much stock in random opinions about buying individual pieces versus a set. I think some take this opinion bc they are too cheap and/or cannot afford the expense all at once and need to justify this to everyone. I am sure there are other reasons as well.

The manufacturers do a great deal of market testing and research before selecting the pans they will offer in a set. Also, sets can be cheaper than buying individually, which is another reason to do it.

After remodeling the kitchen a few years ago, we bought a basic set of Al Clad stainless--Not the largest set - just a good starter set. It had a fry pan, two sauce pans, and a large stock pot. The stock pot and sauce pans had lids, which count as pieces, so it was considered a 7-piece set. I use every piece at least several times a week.

After playing around with them awhile, we added 2 sauciers with lids, 2 more fry pans (a small one and a large non-stick), a saute pan with lid, a wok and a braiser with lid. We also now have about 20 pieces of Le Creuset, which is a fantastic product.

Buying a basic set to get going and then adding to it as your needs develop is a great way to go, IMHO.

L

o

Lynne, I'm curious which you prefer for basic cooking, the AllClad, or Le Creuset? I'm looking at getting new pans for a new home, and not sure which way to go for stuff like basic sauce pans. I like the look of the LC, but one thing I don't like with the Scanpans is how long it takes for them to heat up and I expect stainless would be the better way to go for that. Not to mention the weight!

o

I have a combination of Cuisinart stainless and Le Creuset. I use the stainless for things like boiling water for pasta, cooking frozen veggies, etc -- the things that don't require cooking for a long time.

I don't have any non-stick, because I have parrots, and they can be killed by the fumes if the non-stick is overheated.

I use the Le Creuset for braising, simmering, anything that takes a long time to cook. I also use their frying pan for scrambling eggs and making omelettes. It takes longer for the LC to heat than the stainless, but I have more control. The LC is also much easier to clean -- not quite as easy as non stick, but very close.

Sue

o

Interesting, I would not have thought of using LC for frying! It must be fairly non-stick then. That would definitely be a plus for me.

o

Stainless steel is not a good conductor of heat, which is why Al Clad and other brands as well, have Aluminum cores. The SS gives them the beauty and non-reactive properties while the aluminum core gives them the conductivity.

I really use both the Al Clad and Le Creuset constantly. For everyday making of sauces, boiling pasta, and frying, I use the AC. For making soups, stews, rice, and frittata, I prefer the Le Creuset. If I had to choose between the two for getting started, I would choose the AC, since it is so versatle--and not so heavy. That is what I did and then as time and budget allowed, I began to buy select pieces of Le Creuset. The Le Creuset is VERY heavy, which does not bother me, but as I get older, I am finding myself having to lift the pots with two hands instead of one.

If you have not already done so, I would suggest that you go to the store and try lifting large pots of AC and LC for comparison.

Lynne

o

THANK YOU

Very much for posting all your opinions.

I guess I'll be keeping the set. BUT I'll be adding some other pieces to it from other brands/Materials.

While REALLY cleaning my kitchen over the weekend I found some pieces of cookware that I had NO CLUE I had. I think my mom brought them over last time she came over to visit. All stainless steel (I think). the pieces are a big frying pan and a small one and then there are this other pieces taht I don't really know what they are called but it looks like is meant for you to cook different things on top of each other????? I a going to have to call my Mom and ask her.

I couldn't tell the brand it has a big L on the handle. The handles are plastic.

As for the Scanpan set I might come over later and write a review on it. So far I like it I amde omelletes the other day and it was rally non-stcik and so easy to clean. However I made spagettis last night and the stock pot took a little long to boil the water. Mind you I think I added way to much water LOL The place I ordered the set from gave me a pasta insert and I wasn't quit sure when stop adding water so once I put the spagetti in water started to come out LOL Was the first time I used an insert so now I know better. I hope next time it boils a little faster. I also read (AFTER i got the set) something about pots with the shinny bottom are not good to use in a flat stove???? Maybe taht's why my stock pot didn't boil the water fast enough???

Anyway

THANK YOU a lot for taking your time and helping me out.

Now I want a couple of the LC pieces :o)

Cathy

o

Yes, in my experience, a pot with a reflective bottom bounces back much of the infrared radiation from the element under the ceramic cook top (this is the same radiation you feel when standing next to a campfire). A pot with a matte dark bottom will absorb the infrared light and turn it into useful heat. When I switched from a bright-finished aluminum cookware set to dark anodized aluminum of similar thickness, I was struck by how much faster the dark anodized responded to the ceramic cook top. It was almost like cooking on gas in comparison.

o

I too find that water takes *forever* in the Scanpan pots. I have a gas stove so not sure it's just the shiny bottom (mine aren't exactly all that shiny). It's one reason I would really prefer the stainless I think for a little more responsiveness. But of course, then you lose the nonstick properties the Scanpan has.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here