Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catalan_gw

First time posting Did I made a mistake by buying a Cookware set

Catalan
19 years ago

I Wish I had found this place 2 weeks ago. I were in NEED to get new pot and pans. Everything in my kitchen was falling apart. I did as much reserach as I could and made a desicion.

I ended up ordering a set of SCANPAN that has:

Product Features

11" Fry Pan

2 qt. Sauce Pan with Lid

3 qt. Sauce Pan with Lid

11" Saute Pan with Lid

6.5 qt. Dutch Oven with Lid

I got it at Metrokitchen.com

Now I found your site and the majority of you suggest to buy different pieces and not a whole set. Is there a reason for that?? The 2qt, 3qt and the Fry pan are pices that I use almost everyday and the dutch oven a couple times a month. The Saute pan Not as often.

Out of all the Non sticks out there this was the only set that I thought would last me the longets. Based on some reviews I read.

Should I stick with it or should I return it and if so then what should I go with??? I am used to Non-stick because that's pretty much what I have had. I have two pieces of stainless steel at home but I hardly ever use them.

This is all so confusing. Thanks for your help.

I seriously need pots soon. My old pots are all peeling off and the aluminum at the bottom is showing. I am very desperate. I have not used the Scanpan set yet (they arrived yesterday). The set looks very nice and it feels substancial ad unlike my old set the bottom is REALLY flat :o)

Thank You

Cat

Comments (15)

• canvir
    19 years ago

Some people don't feel you should purchase a cookware set, but IMO when you need to start from scratch a set gives you a base and you can build from there.

From what I've read the scanpan non-stick is a good product.

• steve_o
    19 years ago

The major issue most people have with sets is two-fold -- either the material of which the pots/pans are made is not optimal for every task; or you end up with pieces in the set which are not as useful to you as, say, a smaller or larger piece might be.

When I bought my Cuisinart Everyday, I was quite tempted to buy a set -- the prices per pot/pan are much better than buying from open stock. But I already had all the frying/saute pans I needed and I already had some Le Creuset I could use for the stuff it's good at. So, when I got down to the pieces I really wanted, either they were not part of a set, or I would have had spend money on open-stock cookware anyway.

If you needed "everything" and you got it in the set, you got a good deal. Scanpan is decent stuff; I would not sweat returning it. You've done your homework; if it works for you the way you did it, great!

• chitownfifi
    19 years ago

It sounds like the set includes items that you know you'll use. Use them and let us know how they fare!

• eandhl
    19 years ago

I think some cooks prefer certain pans for certain tasks (I used to use cas iron for certain things, but quickly learned to do without when I no longer want to work with the weight of the pans. I think more people don't like some of the pieces in sets. Me, I never saw a use for a one qt. pan or a 7 inch fry pan. Everything in your set sound useful. I know several people here and one friend loves their scanpans. Enjoy!

• maryjos
    19 years ago

I have a ScanPan set that I've had for several years, and I personally don't care for it much. It takes a long time to heat up, is very heavy and gradually becomes less and less non-stick. I don't even bother using the frying pan anymore but bought a Calaphon non-stick that I use instead. The nice thing with the ScanPan is being able to use metal utensils, but I could easily live without that! It's not really hard to clean up, just not quite what I expect for non-stick. No non-stick surface to flake off though!

• colo_lady
    19 years ago

Interesting. I read here that the Scanpan wok is the BOMB and so I ordered one. I just got it and haven't used it yet. Wondering now if I've made a mistake, based on the previous poster's comments. It was $100.

• maryjos
    19 years ago

Well, I've seen comments that the newer Scanpans aren't as bad at losing their nonstick. But then, they haven't been around as long, so who knows! But I sure as heck wouldn't cook eggs in them.

• Lynne_SJO
    19 years ago

You should do what you want to not put too much stock in random opinions about buying individual pieces versus a set. I think some take this opinion bc they are too cheap and/or cannot afford the expense all at once and need to justify this to everyone. I am sure there are other reasons as well.

The manufacturers do a great deal of market testing and research before selecting the pans they will offer in a set. Also, sets can be cheaper than buying individually, which is another reason to do it.

After remodeling the kitchen a few years ago, we bought a basic set of Al Clad stainless--Not the largest set - just a good starter set. It had a fry pan, two sauce pans, and a large stock pot. The stock pot and sauce pans had lids, which count as pieces, so it was considered a 7-piece set. I use every piece at least several times a week.

After playing around with them awhile, we added 2 sauciers with lids, 2 more fry pans (a small one and a large non-stick), a saute pan with lid, a wok and a braiser with lid. We also now have about 20 pieces of Le Creuset, which is a fantastic product.

Buying a basic set to get going and then adding to it as your needs develop is a great way to go, IMHO.

L

• maryjos
    19 years ago

Lynne, I'm curious which you prefer for basic cooking, the AllClad, or Le Creuset? I'm looking at getting new pans for a new home, and not sure which way to go for stuff like basic sauce pans. I like the look of the LC, but one thing I don't like with the Scanpans is how long it takes for them to heat up and I expect stainless would be the better way to go for that. Not to mention the weight!

• cacocobird
    19 years ago

I have a combination of Cuisinart stainless and Le Creuset. I use the stainless for things like boiling water for pasta, cooking frozen veggies, etc -- the things that don't require cooking for a long time.

I don't have any non-stick, because I have parrots, and they can be killed by the fumes if the non-stick is overheated.

I use the Le Creuset for braising, simmering, anything that takes a long time to cook. I also use their frying pan for scrambling eggs and making omelettes. It takes longer for the LC to heat than the stainless, but I have more control. The LC is also much easier to clean -- not quite as easy as non stick, but very close.

Sue

• maryjos
    19 years ago

Interesting, I would not have thought of using LC for frying! It must be fairly non-stick then. That would definitely be a plus for me.

• Lynne_SJO
    19 years ago

Stainless steel is not a good conductor of heat, which is why Al Clad and other brands as well, have Aluminum cores. The SS gives them the beauty and non-reactive properties while the aluminum core gives them the conductivity.

I really use both the Al Clad and Le Creuset constantly. For everyday making of sauces, boiling pasta, and frying, I use the AC. For making soups, stews, rice, and frittata, I prefer the Le Creuset. If I had to choose between the two for getting started, I would choose the AC, since it is so versatle--and not so heavy. That is what I did and then as time and budget allowed, I began to buy select pieces of Le Creuset. The Le Creuset is VERY heavy, which does not bother me, but as I get older, I am finding myself having to lift the pots with two hands instead of one.

If you have not already done so, I would suggest that you go to the store and try lifting large pots of AC and LC for comparison.

Lynne

• Catalan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

THANK YOU

Very much for posting all your opinions.

I guess I'll be keeping the set. BUT I'll be adding some other pieces to it from other brands/Materials.

While REALLY cleaning my kitchen over the weekend I found some pieces of cookware that I had NO CLUE I had. I think my mom brought them over last time she came over to visit. All stainless steel (I think). the pieces are a big frying pan and a small one and then there are this other pieces taht I don't really know what they are called but it looks like is meant for you to cook different things on top of each other????? I a going to have to call my Mom and ask her.

I couldn't tell the brand it has a big L on the handle. The handles are plastic.

As for the Scanpan set I might come over later and write a review on it. So far I like it I amde omelletes the other day and it was rally non-stcik and so easy to clean. However I made spagettis last night and the stock pot took a little long to boil the water. Mind you I think I added way to much water LOL The place I ordered the set from gave me a pasta insert and I wasn't quit sure when stop adding water so once I put the spagetti in water started to come out LOL Was the first time I used an insert so now I know better. I hope next time it boils a little faster. I also read (AFTER i got the set) something about pots with the shinny bottom are not good to use in a flat stove???? Maybe taht's why my stock pot didn't boil the water fast enough???

Anyway

THANK YOU a lot for taking your time and helping me out.

Now I want a couple of the LC pieces :o)

Cathy

• geoffshepherd
    19 years ago

Yes, in my experience, a pot with a reflective bottom bounces back much of the infrared radiation from the element under the ceramic cook top (this is the same radiation you feel when standing next to a campfire). A pot with a matte dark bottom will absorb the infrared light and turn it into useful heat. When I switched from a bright-finished aluminum cookware set to dark anodized aluminum of similar thickness, I was struck by how much faster the dark anodized responded to the ceramic cook top. It was almost like cooking on gas in comparison.

• maryjos
    19 years ago

I too find that water takes *forever* in the Scanpan pots. I have a gas stove so not sure it's just the shiny bottom (mine aren't exactly all that shiny). It's one reason I would really prefer the stainless I think for a little more responsiveness. But of course, then you lose the nonstick properties the Scanpan has.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida