Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas vs electric ranges and cookware

Posted by Shatz (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 10:09

Are there any cookware considerations (type, use, etc.) to make when (sadly) having to switch from a gas range to an electric range?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas vs electric ranges and cookware

Depends on what type of electric range. The traditional coiled element range works OK with most cookware. For smooth-top ceramic ranges, I had the best results with dark anodized flat-bottom aluminum cookware, such as Calphalon. The flat bottom mates well to the flat ceramic cook surface, and the dark anodizing helps by absorbing infrared wavelengths from the elements below and converting it to heat. A bright metal finish reflects a lot of that radiant energy back down towards the elements under the glass ceramic surface. That is part of why I replaced my old budget non-stick aluminum cookware with anodized Calphalon when I had a house with a smooth-top electric range.

o

If you are going to a smooth top -- flat bottom. I use a combo of Cuisinart everyday SS, and All Clad SS. Both work very well - the cuisinart for anything fast and AllClad for any slower cooking.

o

I specifically went with the old-fashioned coils because I wanted to be able to use my 31-year-old well-seasoned carbon steel wok on a regular basis. And they can't be used on the modern flat glass tops.

I also didn't like the flat tops because pets (as in cats) don't readily recognize them as a danger zone.

Third reaason - I didn't like all the cleaning do's & don'ts, as well as constantly having to worry about scratching.

Last but not least - if a coil burns out on my range for some reason, they're a snap to replace. Luckily, I haven't had to replace anything, & this after having 2 pots actually melt onto the coils accidentally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here