Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vollroth Jelly roll discolored after being in dishwasher, normal?

Posted by markbr (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 10:06

I have a lot of new Vollroth Jelly rolls and their famous cookie sheets.

I've only used one Jelly roll so far and I placed it in the dishwasher to wash.

It came out completly discolored and it took a lot of elbow work and Bark keepers friend to try and get it clean again, and the discolorationc omes back very easily after it gets wet again.

Is it defective? should I not have washed in the dishwasher?

Does anyone know what the problem is.

I haven't put any other in until I find out what the problem is.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vollroth Jelly roll discolored after being in dishwasher, nor

I think aluminum discolors in the dishwasher. Doesn't affect performance, just appearance.

From Surfa's:

Vollrath Cookie Sheet Aluminum 17"x14"
Item: 32392

Vollrath Cookie Aluminum Sheet 17"x14". Heavy-10 gauge 3004 aluminum heats rapidly and evenly. Available here in an aluminum finish.

Rated Highly Recommended in the June 2005 issue of Cook's Illustrated.
Please note: Due to a printing error, Cook's Illustrated lists this as "steel", however the actual item rated is aluminum.

Susan

o

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

It makes them look really ugly and nearly impossible to clean afterwards.

o

I don't have that brand, but I don't typically put aluminum items in the dishwasher, either (even if they do say, "dishwasher safe"), so can't help much. I find using parchment paper on pans yields good baking results & makes cleanup a lot easier.

I believe chlorine can react with aluminum, however, and if you used a dishwasher detergent that contains chlorine bleach or have heavily chlorinated water, it could discolor the pan. You might want to check with the manufacturer for an opinion. Good luck!

o

Aluminum will indeed discolor in the dishwasher. I also don't like the feel of the pan either. The abrasives in the detergent I think put fine scratches in the pan. It may not affect the performance, I just don't like the way they react to the dishwasher so I just clean my pans by hand.

Shannon

o

Anolon came out with the titanium pans so they could go in the dishwasher, their standard aluminum is not to be put in the dishwasher, so you cant blame the vollroth product

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here