Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrevise

new Swiss-made cookware from Dr. Weil, anyone?

msrevise
17 years ago

I saw this in Bloomingdales, had never seen it before. It's well constructed ss cookware, similar to all-clad, but with (imho) much more comfortable handles. I was very tempted. It's called Spring by Dr. Andrew Weil (not sure exactly what makes it fit his 'healthy cooking' philosophy, but whatever...). It's made in switzerland, looks very high quality. Buying individual pieces very $$$, and i don't want a whole set, so i'll probably wait for a sale, but has anyone seen it, seen a review or anything?

Comments (17)

• disdatmac
    17 years ago

Wow, I was wondering if he was going to jump on the whole cookware bandwagon!

I haven't been to his site in years, but in looking now, I don't see anything about cookware. I will be interested in seeing how it all works out for him.

Interesting! thanks for posting!

• disdatmac
    17 years ago

I found this while searching on Dr Weil's site. Is the cookware called "Weil Lifestyle"?

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/PAG00070

quote:
    Waterford Wedgwood - an internationally recognized maker of premium cookware including the legendary "All-Clad" line, Waterford Wedgwood is working with Dr. Weil to create unique, innovative appliances and cooking utensils that support his Anti-Inflammatory Diet. The products will feature high functionality, durability, quality stainless steel surfaces and stylish appearance.

It is funny because when I searched for Waterford Wedgewood and All-clad, it states they sold that portion of the business in 2004

Funny, I can't find any info on google except at Bloomingdales. I wonder if it is an exclusive deal.

• msrevise
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I searched and found that 365west sells Spring cookware made in Switzerland that's apparently been around for 50+ years, i guess that just now Weil has decided to develop a signature line, but it's made by Spring and the original line can still be purchased in nonBloomies places, though so far i only see it online and the Weil version is less expensive. (I'm looking at sauce pans--$140??! on 365west.) If anyone knows of other sources for the original version, i'm interested. I need to replace several pots, and soon...

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

"The cookware claims to have specially rolled edges that prevent food from interacting with aluminum, which some believe is linked to Alzheimer's disease."

I don't care if his cookware line was so amazing that it actually cooked the food itself and cleaned up afterwards -- I would never give a dime to someone who preys on on people's fears with a huckster claim like that.

• deanb
    17 years ago

I'm with you suzyq3. I couldn't have put it better.

• mikesprnces
    16 years ago

After reading the original post, I started searching myself and I found this video about his Spring Cookware. Looks pretty good to me!
    http://www.expotv.com/videos/expo/203/248/Weil-by-Spring-Healthy-Kitchen/255779

• User
    16 years ago

I cannot believe PBS runs his show (as well as a few others). It's like a 19th century medicine show, people nodding meaningfully while he hawks his miracle medications, nostrums and books, with dire warnings of calamity if he is not heeded.

From the description of the old time shows, his is much less entertaining.

I agree with suzyq3. Give me a break.

• shelcom
    16 years ago

There's another line of cookware that will hit the market I think everyone should have a look at. It's from Regal Ware. It's also a multi ply clad line of cookware. It will be the same price as Dr. Weil's line. But with even more comfortable handles than the line from Spring. The Regal Ware line is endorsed by Marcus Samuelsson. Head chef of Aquavit and Merkato 55.

What sets the Regal Ware line apart is that it's made in the USA in West bend Wi. It will hit the market in two weeks.

How do I know this. I am the retail sales manager for Regal Ware. And yes, everyone of us at Regal Ware is proud to bring a USA made line of cookware to the market. It's long overdue.

• suzyq3
    16 years ago

shelcom, this is the second post I've seen of yours regarding your new line of cookware. I'm sure you mean well, but I do believe that this site frowns on advertising.

• shelcom
    16 years ago

suzyq3. Duly noted. My intention was to let everyone know the line is out there and to have a look. We are excited to launch the line. I will keep the biased opinions off the site. It's not my intention to try and use the site to advertise and I'm sorry if it came accross that way.

• marys1000
    16 years ago

Well I'm interested to know Shelcom - where should I keep an eye out for it? I was thinking of caving and buying a AC saucepan primarily for the made in America thing - nice to know an alternative is coming, though I do wonder where the metal is made - probably all over the world, container shipped from process to process till it arrives here in sheets to be molded or something?

• alexrander
    16 years ago

I want to thank Shelcom for his earlier posts, some months back- they were informative and much appreciated. There have been many posters looking for tri-ply that isn't made in China, and with different handles than Al Clad.

• suzyq3
    16 years ago

suzyq3. Duly noted. My intention was to let everyone know the line is out there and to have a look. We are excited to launch the line. I will keep the biased opinions off the site. It's not my intention to try and use the site to advertise and I'm sorry if it came accross that way.

Thanks, Shelcom. My comment was not against you as a valuable member of the forum but a response based on the fact that we do occasionally have posters who come on to the board in order to advertise. I understood from other responses that such activity is not allowed. I have no doubt that your intentions are otherwise and that you only wanted to inform. I wish you luck with the cookware.

• shima1
    15 years ago

I bought a fry pan, on the bottom and handle is "Switzerland" but on the price and product sticker is "made in china."
    I'm going to write Andy.

• bizbro_cox_net
    13 years ago

I just purchased a Dr Weil 5qt slow cooker by Spring and when I opened the box no paterwork was with it. Does anybody know where I can get an instruction booklet for this product. I have looked on the internet, but I can not fing a site where I can ask for them to send me the paperwook that should have been with this Item. Please help me. Thank you

• suzyq3
    13 years ago

helena brochu, his website is a mess. And any contact information is just by e-mail, not phone. But cooking.com sells the 7-qt version, so I'd suggest calling their toll-free number and see whether they can give you a contact number to call or be of help somehow.

Here is a link that might be useful: cooking.com Weil slow cooker