Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scooks_gw

Wolfgang Puck cast-iron dutch oven

Scooks
10 years ago

Hello,
I just got a 5.6qt. Wolfgang Puck enameled cast-iron dutch oven. If you use one of these, can you please share your experience/review? Also, I got it for 40 bucks on sale at TJMaxx. Is it a good price for this item?
Thanks!

Comments (3)

• nancylouise5me
    10 years ago

The price is good for a cast iron d o of that size. That it is a Wolfgang puck item is questionable. Having tried his small appliances (oil fryers), the quality is just not there. Returned both due to pieces breaking off with use. I have no first hand knowledge of his cookware. But would not purchase it due to his lack of quality in other products. His cast iron is made in China I believe. China cookware is known for it's lack of quality and questionable glazes that they use. I use to work in a cooking store. Paula Deen had her C I made in China also. We received them into the store with chips,cracks and splits in the iron and sent them back. She had a few recalls on her cast iron cookware made in China also. I don't buy cookware made in China period. The quality and confidence is just not there for me. NancyLouise

• eibren
    10 years ago

Just use precautions to protect the glaze from cracking. I have been having good success with several sizes and brands of Dutch ovens made in China.

Do not preheat the oven and then pour in anything cold. If you are braisng meat and then wish to add water or other liquid, heat it a bit in your microwave first. If you place oil in the oven before adding food, place it in before you heat the oven.

Don't do anything to scratch the coating--use wooden or silicone utensils, and don't drag it across rough surfaces; pick it up. Place it doen gently, and use soft hot pads under it.

If the cover handle is plastic, it must be removed before use in the oven.

These are all basic precautions for this type of cookware, even if it is Le Creuset. My DB has lc and I find little difference between that and my own Dutch oven. I think the non-lc ovens have been unfairly castigated on some forums.
    In any case, you could easily have spent 3X more for the French version, which may itself now be made in China, anyway. The Chinese are perfectly capable of good work--they have been working with porcelain for centuries!

You will be pleased with how quickly things cook in your Dutch oven. The cover is heavy enough to retain the heat better than more lightweight cookpots. It is not exactly pressure cooking, but a bit in that direction. You will love it.

• Julie Cantrell
    2 years ago

I purchased a Wolfgang Puck 5-Quart Enamel Dutch Oven three years ago because I believed that this was a quality product being sold by a company with integrity. The manufacturer's packaging stated that the product has a lifetime* warranty against manufacturer's defect. Unfortunately, I was wrong on both accounts.

The enamel on the exterior had a chunk fall off shortly after purchase. I didn't worry since that didn't affect the product's main performance objective. However, yesterday I noticed that the interior was spider-webbing and exhibited pockmarks I called what their greeting identified as their warranty department and spoke with Renata ((310) 432-1500, option 2), who told me she is the customer service manager of the company and there is No One that she answers to at the company.

Renata explained to me that Mr. Puck has a policy that says that they will not warranty any product they distribute through whom they deem to be a third party, regardless of what the packaging material says. Unless their product is purchased through the HSN or QVC, it only carries a 1-year limited warranty, despite this information not having been relayed to the buyer at the time of purchase. It seems obvious to me that they know their product is junk. Why else would one have an internal policy to not honor their warranty?

I no longer believe that Wolfgang Puck is an honorable person, and his company is sketchy. This pot will go into the trash now, where it belongs. PLEASE do the same should this happen to you. Enamel is a glass material and can cause you severe personal harm should you continue to use it when it has failed.

Mr. Wolfgang Puck, you sir have FAILED as a decent human and as a businessman. I will never use anything even slightly related to your name. User's recommendation: DO NOT Buy Wolfgang Puck products!