Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wolfgang Puck cast-iron dutch oven

Posted by Scooks (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 9:28

Hello,
I just got a 5.6qt. Wolfgang Puck enameled cast-iron dutch oven. If you use one of these, can you please share your experience/review? Also, I got it for 40 bucks on sale at TJMaxx. Is it a good price for this item?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolfgang Puck cast-iron dutch oven

The price is good for a cast iron d o of that size. That it is a Wolfgang puck item is questionable. Having tried his small appliances (oil fryers), the quality is just not there. Returned both due to pieces breaking off with use. I have no first hand knowledge of his cookware. But would not purchase it due to his lack of quality in other products. His cast iron is made in China I believe. China cookware is known for it's lack of quality and questionable glazes that they use. I use to work in a cooking store. Paula Deen had her C I made in China also. We received them into the store with chips,cracks and splits in the iron and sent them back. She had a few recalls on her cast iron cookware made in China also. I don't buy cookware made in China period. The quality and confidence is just not there for me. NancyLouise

o
RE: Wolfgang Puck cast-iron dutch oven

Just use precautions to protect the glaze from cracking. I have been having good success with several sizes and brands of Dutch ovens made in China.

Do not preheat the oven and then pour in anything cold. If you are braisng meat and then wish to add water or other liquid, heat it a bit in your microwave first. If you place oil in the oven before adding food, place it in before you heat the oven.

Don't do anything to scratch the coating--use wooden or silicone utensils, and don't drag it across rough surfaces; pick it up. Place it doen gently, and use soft hot pads under it.

If the cover handle is plastic, it must be removed before use in the oven.

These are all basic precautions for this type of cookware, even if it is Le Creuset. My DB has lc and I find little difference between that and my own Dutch oven. I think the non-lc ovens have been unfairly castigated on some forums.
In any case, you could easily have spent 3X more for the French version, which may itself now be made in China, anyway. The Chinese are perfectly capable of good work--they have been working with porcelain for centuries!

You will be pleased with how quickly things cook in your Dutch oven. The cover is heavy enough to retain the heat better than more lightweight cookpots. It is not exactly pressure cooking, but a bit in that direction. You will love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here