Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silverplate flatware vs Stainless steel

Posted by joanntx (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 9, 07 at 8:20

I have found a silverplate flatware pattern I love but would like to use it for everyday use. Has anyone done this and if so, have you had any regrets? Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silverplate flatware vs Stainless steel

Silverware actually benefits from daily use, as tarnish never builds up.

Eventually the silverplate can wear off. But "eventually" is many years down the pike. I say buy the pattern you like, use it every day, and enjoy!

o

It does scratch, however, and unless you like things with that type of patina, don't do it. It's just one of the many reasons I use stainless for everyday. I have sterling but unlike some people I don't use it all the time because I want it to stay unscratched. I use it for special occasions only.

o

I use my Sterling every day....have for well more than 40 years...
Silver with a patina is much nicer that that shiny new stuff that seems to say...I got out the good stuff for this occasion.
The only drawback is it will wear...but if you buy good quality it will take many years. Also things like eggs and mustard will stain the silver and you will ahve to polish if you aren't careful about letting it sit withsuch things on it.
I also say...buy what you love and enjoy it every day.
Linda C

o

I've used mine for a long time. Try to be careful because some foods and some household products will cause a reaction that darkens the silver. If you love the pattern, I think you should use it and enjoy it.

o

Thanks for all your help. I love this pattern so I know just looking at it everyday will make me smile. I know I can't be reckless but with my kids almost out of the house it should be easier!

o

When growing up, my mother only had silverplate, there wasn't any stainless. As a result we kids all learned to polish it. We were very glad when she finally got stainless.

o

Sterling is meant to be used - why own it if it just sits in a drawer? I had mine for years before I started using it regularly. My mom died way too young, and when she knew she was dying, she encouraged me to use all my nice stuff, don't "save" anything because you think it's too good to use.

Anyway, there is nothing like eating with real sterling, but silverplate is a close second.

o

It's also nice to have dishes and silverware for special occasions instead of using the same ol' everyday plates and flatware. People feel honored when you pull out the good stuff for them. I like saving my sterling for those times and I like it gleaming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here