Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutkin88

LC vs Staub

nutkin88
17 years ago

I am trying to decide between a Staub oval & a LC. What's the difference? Does the Staub with the spikes on the lid work better? Or is it just to make the product stand out & confuse the buyer?

Comments (17)

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

nutkin88, a search of this forum, a general google search, and a look at both company's sites will answer your question as to the differences between the two brands. Two major differences are that LC has a smooth beige interior, whereas Staub has a black matte interior, and Staub has metal knobs instead of the phenolic knobs on the LC that are ovenproof only up to 400 degrees.

As for whether the spikes really do anything, I have my doubts, even though I love my Staub pieces. But obviously, they're a good selling point, as others, like Calphalon in its new line of enameled cast-iron, are now imitating them.

• velodoug
    17 years ago

One thing the spikes do is make it a bit harder to really clean the underside of the top. One of the kitchens I cook in has a beautiful red Staub coquette. The difference isn't a big deal, but I prefer washing the top of the Le Creuset oval oven in my home kitchen.

• nutkin88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify; am I right to say that, besides looks, spikes or no spikes, both LC & Staub cooks just the same? LC without the spikes is self-basting too? Thanks.

• velodoug
    17 years ago

In theory, the spikes should help the self basting. In practice, I've found no difference whatsoever between Le Creuset and Staub cooking the same pot roast or the same chicken for the same length of time at the same oven temperature.

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

I have never used Staub, so I cannot give a direct response. However, most of my LC dates to 1975, when I was living and learning to cook in France, mostly on LC and tin-lined copper. I am not a Francophile (except when it comes to food), but I have always thought LC was great stuff. Almost all of it is still in perfect condition after all these moves and all this regular use, so that says a lot. I have no idea whether the new LC maintains the same standards, but I have no reason to doubt that it does. I recently received a gift of a Lodge Logic cast iron fryer and lid, not enamel-coated, and the lid has those spikes. Gardenlad, on this forum, told me that those "spikes have been around a long time." I am really enjoying the Lodge, but I dislike cleaning around the spikes. I just do not see what they add to the cooking experience. The heavy LC lids stay on so well that steam drips back into the pot whether spikes are there or not. Recently, after a quarter-century of marriage, my husband said he really did not care for the looks of LC "because it looks too 1950's," however, he does love the way LC performs. I felt like I had been hit by lightning. LC has been such a given in my life for so long that I never even think about how it looks! I do like the looks of that grenadine coq-au-vin cocotte in Staub, but there is no rational reason to buy yet another oval Dutch oven in the same size as an LC piece I already have. I have also heard a few complaints about quality control issues with recently manufactured Staub on this site. Incidentally, the phenolic cap on the lid fell off of a small, old LC pot of mine. I discovered that the real handle underneath is cast iron. I'm not sure, but this might allow one to use higher oven temps. than one can with the phenolic handles. I do low to medium heat cooking with the LC anyway, so the oven temperature issue isn't a big deal to me. Still, I think it is for some purchasers of cookware.

• nutkin88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh kitchendetective, I do like the Staub Coq-au-vin too! But I would like a yellow color pot as well. I thought if one pot cooks better than the other, it will be an easy choice. Sigh! Decisions, decisions...

• solarpowered
    17 years ago

FYI, LC now sells stainless steel knobs that you presumably can use to replace the phenolic ones if you want to be able to cook in the oven at more than 450 degrees.

• nutkin88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Costco are selling 8 qt oval LC for $157 and the cover of these pots have spikes. Well, not spikes, more like raised dots. No yellow though, just red & blue. Funny, they were not that heavy for a 8 qt.

• anna1029
    17 years ago

I bought a Stub 5.5qt Coq-au-vin and absolutely love it. Later on I needed a small pot and for a great deal at an LC outlet store bought 2.5qt pepper shape pot and love it just as equally. Both are well made and I can't really see the difference in performance.

• nutkin88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I bought a 9 qt oval yellow LC at the outlet. At 30% off, it's a better deal than the Staub. Although, I'm sure I'll drool everytime I see the Coq-au-vin =)

FYI, from March 1, LC Outlet (don't know about the regualr store) are having 30% off for yellow & indigo pots & bakeware.

• Marigene
    17 years ago

I personally like Staub better than LeCeuset.

Here is some information that may be of help.

In the December 2006 Fine Cooking magazine they reviewed enameled cast-iron Dutch ovens. The results were interesting.
    Best Fitting Lid-Staub Cocotte 5 qt.
    Our Favorite-Lodge Enamel 5 qt.
    For Big Batches-Mario Batali Italian Essentials Pot 6 qt.
    Most Affordable-Innova Round Oven 5 qt.
    Great Find-World Cuisine Chasseur 5 1/2 qt.
    Easiest to maneuver-Le Crueset 5 1/2 qt.

They also said the most noticeable advantage over the others is its slightly thinner construction when they were reporting on the LeCrueset and the thick cast-iron construction makes it heavy for its size when reporting on the Lodge. Batali's was the heaviest pot in the line up but also one of the best values.

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

Batali's is the largest pot in the line-up, so I would expect it to be the heaviest. Sometimes, I wonder about the folks who write these test articles. As for the 8 qt. LC being "light," the two that I have weigh a ton. This makes me wonder if LC has changed or if they are selling a special pot to Costco.

• nutkin88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LC probably makes special pot for Costco because the 8qt I just bought from the LC outlet does not have raised dots on the underside of the lid.

• mcgillicuddy
    17 years ago

This week I ate at Craft in NYC, where I had a braised monkfish served in a small Staub pot.

It made me realize that my home cooking would probably be that much more appetizing served in lovely mini pots :)

• blondelle
    17 years ago

Le Creuset does make one pot with the raised dots. It's called the doufeu oven. It's the oval pot with the recessed lid. It's 7 1/4 qts.

• marys1000
    17 years ago

As far as I could find Staub does not have any pots or pans with handles. Since I usually use ceramic/glass in the oven and my Le Creuset on the stove I like that I can buy a matching set of w/handles and pots w/o handles.
    For those who like handles that can go in the oven - i have looked at Le Creuset on ebay a few times and am always seeing pans with all metal handle - what's up with that? Did they make a different line for 4 or 5 years? Are these from restaurants? Were available only in France?
    As far as looking out of date - ? A round pot is a round pot with a lid. I guess because its not shiny metal is why your husband made that comment? Then why did rachel ray do her line in orange?

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

I think DH loves the enamel colors and finish, but he thinks the shapes of the pots are 1950's-ish. He finds the Staub more attractive. I doubt he'd want me to start a new collection, however. I'm not sure what you mean by LC "with all metal handles." Some of my fry pans have enameled handles that are integral with the pan, some of the pots have wood handles, and some of the pots have integral enameled iron handles. I have not kept up with all the changes and test models over the years, so I'm not sure about which ones you are referring to.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County