Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Calphalon hard-anonized?

Posted by natsmom (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 3, 06 at 0:02

I'm following directions - clean in warm sudsy water with Scotch-brite and I still have brown spots.

Is this normal? The manual (!) says brown spots means some residue is remaining. So, it's supposed to clean spotlessly?

(I have the Everyday Pan.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Calphalon hard-anonized?

You need to use Bar Keepers Friend. Nothing compares. I like to use the Dobi pads rather than Scotch.

o

I don't know if the instructions have changed but when my mom got hers many years ago they said scotch brite and Ajax or Comet. I would think BKF will do the same thing. She generally just uses soapy water but once in a while when I'm over I'll notice they're a little brown for my taste and clean them up no problem with Ajax.

I also have some Calphalon, but the commercial non-stick. The outside is the same, and I can say that once oily spills get "seasoned" (i.e. burnt) onto the outside, well then good luck. No amount of elbow grease seems to help. I'm not sure if I've tried BKF or not, but I will now that I saw the last response.

Maybe someone else has suggestions?

If you want to contact Calphalon directly, I suggest you call rather than email. I've been waiting patiently for a response to an unrelated inquiry I sent them on Monday but have not heard back. Same for GE. Apparently customer service isn't a high priority these days.

o

I've always used an SOS pad on hard-anodized Calphalon.

Harper

o

Cleaning instructions are here on the Calphalon site:
http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/consumer/jhtml/hardAnodized.jhtml

Cleaning

Do not clean Calphalon hard-anodized cookware in a dishwasher. Dishwasher detergents will damage the surface. Dishwasher use will void your Lifetime Warranty.

Hand wash your cookware thoroughly inside and out after every use. Wash with hot, sudsy water and a dishcloth or Scotch-Brite pad and a recommended cleanser (see below). After cleaning, the pan should have an even color tone and matte finish. Dark, shiny, or hazy spots on hard-anodized surfaces mean that some residue remains on the cooking surface.

Recommended Cleaners
Ajax (with or without bleach), Comet (with or without bleach), Dormond

Recommended Cleaning Pad
Scotch-Brite

Very interesting. They recommend Ajax, Comet or Dormond for hard anodized, but BKF for infused and stainless. BKF contains oxalic acid to brighten things up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here