Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommended knife for bread?

Posted by joann_fla (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 0:00

What do you recommed for cutting homemade bread? I haven't tried a electric knife yet, I have several bread knives but they don't seem to cut well. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommended knife for bread?

My favorite is a Chicago cutlery bread knife. And remember...use a sawing motion...don't press down...just saw.
Linda C

o

I prefer electric knives for making slow, even cuts in bread. But, this knife will do almost as well with bread, and is a great all-around performer in the kitchen...

o

My parents, european immigrants, always got these round or oval breads with hard crusty sides and fairly stiff inside too. My parents could cut it ok. My Dad would sort of hold it towards his body and cut around it in a circle.
I could never cut an even piece.
At some point they got one of those hand crank slicers. Sort of a pain to have yet another appliance banging around on the counter but at least I could get an even slice.

o

Cooks Illustrated magazine likes the Forschner Victorinox 10.25" serrated knife with Fibrox handle. It's a steal at around $28. In a review a couple of years ago, Cooks Illustrated said "tough on hard crusts, gentle on tomatoes, and easy on the hands. A terrifically sharp blade with all the best traits--length, curvature, and serration design." Then, just this past month (Feb.-08), Cooks Illustrated updated its bread knife review to include the Wusthof Classic 10" Bread Knife, $80, alongside the still-great Forschner. But the Wusthof is $80!! I bought the Forschner a couple of years ago when the first review came out. I mean, at $28, how could I resist? It has been great! I really love this knife, and recommend it to all my friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forschner Bread Knife at Amazon.com

o

I've found that a really sharp conventional (non-serrated) blade cuts bread just as well as a serrated blade and produces fewer crumbs. Just as with a serrated blade, the trick is to slice rather than press. The real advantage of a serrated blade is that it can be pretty dull and still cut things.

o

Perhaps your bread knives do not work on your home-baked bread because you try to cut it while it's still too fresh. When I buy bread at the bakery they sometimes tell me they cannot slice it because it's still too fresh. If that's not the issue, then you should consider getting one of the knives recommended above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here