Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna1029

Staub Dutch/French ovens

anna1029
17 years ago

Does anyone use/have these pots. A friend of mine recomended this company and right now I found decent deal on e-bay and some good deals on Amazon. Is Staub just as good as Le Creuset? I tried to get some reviews, but couldn't find any and only found rave reviews for the LC. What are your opinions? Worth spending the money?

Thank you.

Comments (5)

• vyshtia
    17 years ago

A few months ago I was going through this same thing. I found good reviews for the Staub and decided to try it out. I bought my Basix Staub 6 qt Dutch Oven from QVC. It comes with a Lid and Trivet. Right now the price is $71.76 - see link below.

The Le Creuset 6-3/4 qt Oval French Oven is on Amazon for $214.99. I decided back then that the price difference was enough for me to go ahead and try out the Staub and I'm glad I did. I think it works very well. Now I don't have a Le Creuset to compare against...but since the Staub fits the bill and is more affordable, I don't feel like I need to search further.

Here is a link that might be useful: QVC - Staub

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

The Basix Staub sold on QVC is not the same as the regular line of Staub, although I'm sure it's very serviceable and an excellent value.

So be sure that you're comparing the same level of oven, annal029. The regular line of Staub is definitely comparable to Le Creuset. I have two Staub oval ovens and one Le Creuset round oven. I love them both.

Although you can look at both websites to see the difference between the two lines of cookware, here are just a few:

Staub has brass or stainless knobs/handles; Le Creuset uses phenolic knobs that limit the allowable heat level to 400 degrees.

Staub has self-basting spikes underneath the lid that supposedly ensure continuous basting. Although Le Creuset now has a model or two with the spikes, most of their products have a smooth lid.

Le Creuset has a smooth light-colored enamel interior; Staub has a black matte enamel interior. Some people don't like the black interior because they think it's more difficult to see whether you've cleaned it well.

You'll find fans of both lines.

• anna1029
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wasn't aware of the Basix line. I was looking at their regular line. Thank you very much for the tips on both lines. I'll most likely stick to my original pick and go ahead with Staub since I found a better deal on it than LC.

• ossienyc
    17 years ago

I didn't like Le Creuset initially for the visual. I thought the colors were 70s-ish and the black knob did nothing for it. I had used it previously in a risotto cooking class. Staub is on sale through Amazon.com so I got the starter set even though I would have preferred another color. Having just got it, I think the 5 quart is a good size and have cancelled my premature order for the 2 quart size. However, I spent $30 for the griddle pan and the roasting dish when I could have ordered a 5 quart in another color e.g. chartreuse. I spent the money because of vanity at owning pieces by Staub. The nipples in the lid are unique to Staub and now imitated by Mario Batali and the ice cube lid on a particular Le Creuset. I also am avoiding Le Creuset because the novelty casseroles are made in Thailand. Irish oatmeal spurtles out on medium in my Staub.

• suzyq3
    17 years ago

"Irish oatmeal spurtles out on medium in my Staub."

ossienyc, I'm curious as to why you choose to cook oatmeal in a Staub dutch oven. I guess I just think of using mine more for braising, roasting, or stewing. Wouldn't a nonstick pot suit you better for something like oatmeal?