Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patches123_gw

Which red cookware set?

patches123
17 years ago

I am looking for a red cookware set. I saw the KitchenAid set that is nonstick for $123.00. Its a 10 piece. I have a Wearever hard anodized set that is 8 years old, nonstick, that has done well, but I put it in the dishwasher, so most of the hard anonidized has come off. One must, is it must be dishwasher safe. I had thought about getting a SS interior vs nonstick, but I don't know. Anyone have any sets they recomend? Want to spend under $200, preferebly under $150.

Comments (17)

• patches123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Did some googling and found this set.

T-Fal Avante Color Clad Stainless Steel 10-pc. Cookset - Red $70 to $150 and its not nonstick. I'm kinda leaning towards this one, but I wonder about the quality?

or

KitchenAid Hard-Base 12-pc. Cookware Set - Red - $200

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0009U5MZO

Here is a link that might be useful: T-Fal Avante Color Clad Stainless Steel

• patches123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What about Chantal? Is it any good?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chantal 7 piece set

• alku05
    17 years ago

I have a chantal set that my parents got us for an engagement present about three years ago. It's pretty good stuff, but the complaint that I have with it is that you have to be careful not to scorch things like chili. In other words, it's hard to simmer thick things b/c the bottom does get hotter (on the same stove setting) than stainless steel cookware, and it doesn't seem to conduct heat up the sides as well. Also, except for the teflon fry pans, it is not nonstick at all, no matter how much oil you use. Compared to a SS pot, it's hard to saute anything without sticking. This makes it hard to cook onions etc. first before adding liquid (like you'd do to make a stock). But I'm really picky, and I do love my SS clad cookware, so most people would probably be quite happy with the Chantel.

As for the color and finish, it's beautiful and holds up well. I don't have a single scratch or ding in any of my pots.

• patches123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmm....I wonder which I would be happier with, the Chantal or the T-Fal that is not, non-stick...I think it is a mix of aluminum core and SS.

I basically had started out wanting SS with the red coating on the outside and thinking I would buy one non stick pan for eggs.

Now, I have looked at so many options, I am so confused!

• jenn3292
    17 years ago

I am also looking for a red cookware set. I know what you mean about getting yourself confused because of all the research. I found a Silverstone non-stick set for around $70. I'm not familiar with this brand so I don't know of the quality. I have cooked with T-fal for years and have always been happy with it. I, however, am still having trouble deciding as well.

• mrsmarv
    17 years ago

Just a different opinion here. The problem with looking for cookware based on aesthetics rather than function is that you are limiting yourself with regard to the end result. How do you want that near-and-dear-to-your-heart recipe to turn out? Do you want good to great results or poor to mediocre results? Do you want to be frustrated and disappointed, or do you want to be satisfied? You are selling your skills as a cook short if you base your cookware choice on color instead of the material the cookware is made from. But if you have your heart set on a particular color, why not look into the many lines of enameled over cast iron cookware, such as Le Creuset, Mario Batali, Olive & Thyme, and Staub to name a few? Most of them offer their cookware in a myriad of colors, not to mention every conceivable type of pot or pan. And you will get non-stick results from enameled over cast iron cookware without the risk of scratches, peeling, or limitations with what applications you use it for (oven, high-heat, etc.).

• cupofkindness
    17 years ago

Don't forget that teflon has been classified as a carcinogenic compound. You might live a longer life if you buy a stainless tri-ply set like Calphalon or hard anodized aluminum, or an cast iron set (Lodge), or enameled (like Le Creuset). It might take a little longer to save for or collect these pans but you will end up with a life-long set of cookware, not one that will only last a few years or until you grow tired of red cookware. I see a lot of cookware that just says "built in product obsolesence" based on the cool looking silicon handles or the bright colors that will coordinate with every other thing in your kitchen.

Use other kitchen accessories in red , like gadgets, mixing bowls, soap dispensers, canisters, paper towel holders, etc. Stay with the classic lines and hard working vessels that buying top quality cookware provides. I've never heard anyone say that they've regretted buying a top quality pot or pan.

• patches123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I ended up buying Cuisinarts Chef's Classic in SS, no nonstick, and one Farbarware non stick Millinium 10" skillet for eggs/fish etc.

I had thought about LC, but it is too heavy for me for everything. And I have a smoothtop electric.

• patches123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh I meant to say I found the 10 piece Cuisinart Chef Classic SS on ama#on for $98, with tax. Ordered last night and it shipped this afternoon.

• triciae
    17 years ago

patches, I'm another that thinks it's a bad idea to plan your cookware around color rather than function. My recommendation would be to purchase high-quality cookware a piece at a time (no sets of anything) depending on what your needs truly are. Then, use something else like textiles for a punch of color (in your case, red).

It will not matter what the color is if the cookware is junk. It will also ultimately cost more if you have to keep replacing because you purchased inexpensive so you could have a particular color.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear. But, that doesn't negate it's soundness.

Tricia

• azzalea
    17 years ago

Well, as you've already bought your set, recommendations aren't needed any more, but I just wanted to add one tip about color.

IMO, your cookware should last longer than your current color scheme probably will. (My farberware pans are over 30 years old, my kitchen wallpaper is NOT--LOL). Anything that you expect to have a longer life than a paint job or wallpaper, I think it's a good idea to avoid buying in color. Better to stick with colors or materials that will go whether the kitchen is red, yellow, purple or green and orange stripes. For example, my kitchen counters and floor tiles are brown, my cabinets are natural oak. In my bathroom, the fixtures are tan, the tile is chocolate brown. In either room, I can completely change the color scheme in about a day (half a day for the bathroom) with a minimum amout of work and expense.

Just one person's thoughts, though.

• elisamcs
    17 years ago

QVC sells a hard anodized with colored enamel on the outside. The red sells out often. Try their website.

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

I'm not 100% sure that a $200 pan will give you a lot better meal than a $50 cast iron or even an old Revere SS pan. I know there is a lot of talk about buying the very best pan available. I foolishly invested in some outrageously expensive cookware pieces, but I reach for my old Revere or cast iron more than anything else. ItÂs not that I donÂt like the newer pieces, they just donÂt perform a whole lot better than the old ones IÂm so used to. I think people should buy what appeals to them to make cooking more fun. Then the trick is to learn to use the new stuff really well. Good luck with your red cookware. It will surely brighten up your cooking area;~)

• livingthedream
    17 years ago

Bean Counter, you raise a very good point.

Expensive cookware does not guarantee better performance. Nor is there any reason to assume that moderately-priced cookware is junk.

About a year ago Consumer Reports reviewed 30 sets of cookware that ranged in price from $50 to $700, rating them for evenness of cooking; handle safety, comfort, and sturdiness; coating durability (if nonstick); and ease of cleaning. Most fell into the "very good" category. None rated less than "good" (and the lowest ranking set was midway through that range) and none rated "excellent." Price was not a predictor of ranking even within that narrow range of quality.

Even if you can find better-performing cookware, how much better would it have to be to justify a higher price?

• mccall
    17 years ago

There is a nice line of Emerilware in a dark red enamel over aluminum with non stick interior, pouring spots and steam and pour lids. made by All Clad and 10 pc set is $199.

• ikfsohk
    15 years ago

You may see some popular and quality of hard anodized cookware set, read reviews and compare between brand name.
    From www.amazon.com at this below link

http://astore.amazon.com/hard.anodized.cookware.set-20

These are best seller brands take a visit.
    I think this can help you.

• ikfsohk
    15 years ago

I think you need some extra information about this topic here.
    So you can make a comparison with other brand.

http://astore.amazon.com/cuisinart.chefs.classic.stainless.10.piece.cookware.set-20

I think this can help you.