Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
slow cooker with stainless steel insert ?

Posted by ani_t (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 21:38

I am looking for a slow cooker with stainless steel insert. Is there such a beast ? If you have used them how do you like them ?
TIA for your opinions
Anita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: slow cooker with stainless steel insert ?

Stainless is a poor conductor of heat. That is why slow cooker inserts are made of crockery. They hold the heat well. I have never seen a stainless steel lined crockpot.

However West Bend makes a multi use cooker that they say can be used as a slow cooker. It is really a slow simmer cooker since the heat is only from the bottom instead of surrounding the whole pot. But it gets good reviews for the most part.

Here is a link that might be useful: West Bend Versatality Slow Cooker

o

Saw one on Rick Bayless' show on PBS that looked interesting. NOT stainless, but whatever insert was made of, he was able to BROWN meat on burner before putting in slow cookerand adding rest of ingredients.

o

I recently got a slow cooker by All Clad that I can brown in. It is new and I've used it only one time, so am not much help other than one pot of chili. I found I had to have the flame pretty high to brown. It is quite expensive, close to $300.

o

Breville makes a 7 qt slow cooker with an aluminum insert that is great. It is less than half the price of the All-Clad cooker from Williams Sonoma with the metal insert. This is an excellent slow cooker (as is everything Breville).

Hope it helps,

Brad

Here is a link that might be useful: Breville Slow Cooker

o
RE: slow cooker w/ stainless steel cooking pot

The instant pot is stainless steel and is a slow cooker as well as pressure cooker.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instant pot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here