Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steam escaping in my Staub Enamel Cast Iron Dutch/French Oven

Posted by anna1029 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 21:13

I just recently got my new Staub oval French oven. I've cooked in it several time and absolutely love it. However, when I was making ribs the other day, I saw steam escaping from under the lid. Should that be happening? Shouldn't the lid fit tightly, so no steam escapes at all? What are your experiences?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steam escaping in my Staub Enamel Cast Iron Dutch/French Oven

Well....if you've got it bubbling strongly enough it will lift the lid....remember, it's steam that powered the locomotives!
Linda C

o

If steam wasn't escaping, you would have a pressure cooker. Steam builds in conventional cookware and lifts the lid a little to escape--otherwise it would explode.

o

All of which is true, Anna. You might also consider lowering the flame, if you feel too much steam is escaping. That will help moderate the flow.

o

Le Creuset saucepans have a small hole in the lid. I regulate a low simmer by watching for just a wisp of steam coming from the hole and adjusting the burner or moving the pan on the French top to keep it at that point. I do the same thing on a much cruder scale with the Le Creuset Dutch oven by watching for just the least amount of steam escaping from under the rim.

o
RE: Steam escaping

My Le Cruset sauce pans do NOT have a small hole in the lid.
Linda C

o

When did they start doing that, Velodoug? I've got a set we recieved as a wedding present, and it doesn't have any holes.

o

If you look at the underside of your Staub lid you will see 3 little nubs cast into the rim. I called Staub about them, and they said it helps the raised dimples on the underside of the lid work better. They are there to allow the pot work more efficiently. Le Creuset's latest saucepans with the phenolic handles DO have a hole in the lid for some steam to escape. That is normal, and desirable on the Staub, as they were put there for a reason to allow some steam to escape.

o

I don't know when Le Creuset started putting the little hole in the lid of their saucepans. Both of ours are new - bought within the last year.

o

Yes, I do see the nubs on the lid of the pan, thank you for explaining it to me. I just thought I read somewhere that the lids are very tight fitting and prevent steam from escaping. I just have to learn all this stuff.

o

OMG--they changed Le Creuset? Mine's 30+ years old, but I thought it never changed. When steam escapes from my Dutch ovens, I move the lid around and lower the heat until it doesn't.

o

I got a 5 quart cocotte from Amazon too. I'm also really happy with it but I've learned to keep the burner on Medium and I will probably finish the meat in the oven to prevent drying out the sauce or stew next time. Staub is so much nicer than LC in my opinion and Staub is definitely nicer than the QVC version. Now that I have it, I notice that Alton Brown uses one and that Amy Sedaris has a white one (with the ribbon on the knob!) in her book.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here