Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help w/ Joyce Chen wok seasoning problem!

Posted by lmychajluk (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 06 at 21:02

I recently recieved a Joyce Chen carbon wok as a gift, and was following the seasoning instructions. I oiled the wok and had it on the burner, and after 15 minutes (which is what the instructions said to let it 'simmer' for), the black coating at the bottom of the wok started to peel and curl off in little 'curls'. Was it supposed to do this? Is the wok ruined, or can I just wash, re-season, and go?

Thanks!

-Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
I think I figured it out...

I had thrown away the box a few weeks ago, and not knowing what carbon steel was supposed to look like, didn't realize this was the 'non-stick' version of the wok. Even though the box did say 'carbon steel construction', I guess that was under the teflon or whatever non-stick surface it wsa coated with and I proceeded to burn off. I picked up the non-non-stick version, and am hoping for better results!

o
RE: Help w/ Joyce Chen wok seasoning problem!

FWIW, I just started using a new (not non-stick) carbon steel wok I got on eBay for something like $10 +shipping. Until now I'd been using a non-stick Farberware wok, but now I have a high-BTU gas cooktop and wanted to try "the real McCoy." However, I was really worried about the sticking problem, which was pretty awful before I'd gotten the non-stick wok. Anyway, I goofed up on the seasoning procedure by heating the oiled wok on high heat, and it darkened unevenly, and just looked pretty crummy compared to the pictures of well-seasoned woks I've seen. Nonetheless, I forged ahead and prepared a beef and veggie stir-fry on it, and much to my amazement, it was 95% stick-free! Haven't had a chance to try again, but have high hopes that it's actually possible without a non-stick pan!

By the way, thanks to those posters who recommended the book Breath of a Wok, which is fun and helpful. Amusingly, when I asked about this book at my Barnes & Noble store, the lady couldn't find it in the database; turns out, she had typed in Breath of a Walk, which yielded no hits.

---Margaret

o
RE: Help w/ Joyce Chen wok seasoning problem!

I recently tried the Joyce Chen Non Stick wok. After following all the instructions to the letter and using it only twice, the bottom started pealing off. I have 1 word for Joyce Chen. JUNK. A brand new wok straight to the trash. Luckily I didn't have to throw out the entire meal I was cooking, altho they say ingesting teflon is not good for you.
Steer clear of this waste of a product. spend your $$ on something that will last more than 1 use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here