Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
senga318

cookware comparison question

senga318
16 years ago

Can anyone give me info/opinion regarding quality comparison between All-Clad, Cuisinart and/or Costco's brand of clad cookware? I swear the Costco brand seems to be comparable (in look and feel) to the All-Clad set . . . yet costs approx 1/4. Similar thoughts on the Cuisinart brand. What am I missing? Does it really matter?

Thank you in advance . . .

Comments (7)

• svwillow1
    16 years ago

Well it depends. I can't say anything about the Costco line, but I am aware of a few things about the other two. As far as All-Clad vs Cuisinart, it depends on the All-Clad line. The "Emerilware" All-Clad is made in China, and the core does not go up the sides as it does in the American made All-Clad. In this respect, the Emerilware and the Cuisinart SS are IMHO of very similar quality.

As to "does it really matter," again that depends. I think it depends on what type of stove you cook, what you cook, and your budget.

If you don't have the budget, don't worry. It is my feeling that the tools might make the job easier, but itÂs the cook that makes the meal! Buy the best you can afford, and spend the rest on top quality ingredients.

If you cook on a gas stove especially a high BTU output one, and you really use it for cooking and not for show; then you most likely will be better served by spending the $'s on pieces from one of the higher end cookware lines.

If on the other hand, you cook on a glass top electric stove; having stainless steel cookware that fits the burner and sits perfectly flat is more important than having a core that goes up the sides. You still want a clad core on the bottom because, while stainless is less likely to mar a glass top, it is not a good conductor of heat. In this case, the Cuisinart, Emerilware, or similar line will do fine. You may not have the ultimate temperature control that one has with the others, but then again you really don't get that kind of control with an electric range.

If you have, or think you might eventually have, an induction cook top; then you must make certain that the cookware you choose is induction capable. I know Cuisinart can not be used on an induction cook top, and frequently this is also true in many of the other lower priced brands.

• senga318
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for your reply. Very informative and helpful.
    I was not interested in the Emerilware line ( I guess I should have made that clear)but was trying to decide whether to replace my cookware sooner ($250+ w/ the Costco or Cuisinart line) or wait until I could afford the All-Clad purchase. I'm not a chef and never will be, but I do enjoy cooking and have a goal of becoming a GOOD cook. I cook on a mid-range gas stove, nothing fancy. My pocketbook as well as my skill level ability will probably never justify the purchase of high-end "pro" stove.

And thank you for reminding me that the tools only make it easier, not better. Thank you!

• svwillow1
    16 years ago

If you cook with gas, and can afford it; then give consideration to purchasing a few pieces (you don't need a complete set) from one of the higher priced lines such as All-Clad or Demereye. Having the core going up the sides is helpful with a heat source such as gas.

• bean_counter_z4
    16 years ago

Can't speak from experience because I don't have Costo's cookware. According to Consumer Report magazine, Costo and Sam's Club brands are as good or better than the more expensive brands. Consumer's Union has professionals test on all types of ranges with all types of foods. I often check CR before making a purchase. It's just too easy to get caught up in the brand name hype.

Decide if brand names are important to you. I wouldn't be swayed by anyone's argument that expensive cookware will last forever. Better cookware will be introduced every few years making today's best obsolete.

Sometimes sets are the best buy. You may not use all the pieces, but they are essentially free because the sets are less expensive than buying individual pieces. So if, as Consumer Reports says, all things are equal except price, it seems a no brainer;~) Have fun shopping!

• senga318
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bean!

• ghoumokoo
    16 years ago

I would like a comparason between all forms of heating? Gas, electric...Does someone may be know a good website about the technical cookware? Because I'm french and I need to improve my cookware vocabulary. thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookware and recipes

• alexrander
    16 years ago

Gas and electric induction are considered the best to cook with. If you use gas, then thick copper, lined with stainless is the best cookware. Induction requires magnetic cookware.

Here is a link that might be useful: cookware information

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer