Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vince_2006

Hand or wrist problems using certain cookware?

vince_2006
18 years ago

Anyone had any "trigger finger" or carpel tunnel problems provoked by particular brands of cookware? My wife did a lot of research before buying All Clad cookware a couple of years ago and now is experiencing multiple tendon problems in fingers and wrists, serious enough to require medical treatment. She loves the way it cooks, as do I, but frankly, I think the handles are a horrible design. Pretty, but extremely uncomfortable to use, especially with the bigger pans or with any significant weight of food in them.

Anybody else have this complaint or suggestions to help?

Comments (6)

• nanabelle
    18 years ago

I certainly understand what you are talking about. I always thought I wanted All Clad because they are so heavy. I have found that I can't handle the heavy too well unless I can pick up the pot with 2 hands. I have arthritis in my thumbs which makes for certain movements impossible. I have been purchasing as many pots and pans as I can with small loop handles on both sides. This is easy for me to handle and also doesn't interfere with other pans on the stove or on the shelf. I also have purchased a couple of the Circulon and Analon pans with the padded handles. I really like them. They take a grip really well and I feel like I can hold on to them. I like them as a pot/pan better than Calphalon.

The roasting pans are another source of problem, too. Some of the handles are inverted back over the pan instead of going away from them. (I hope you get my meaning.) They are also hard to handle and give more of a chance for burning.

Your wife probably fears dropping a pan and burning herself due to her condition. I know I do and that is another reason for testing handles before purchase. I go to the store and handle the pans to see how they feel. Sorta like buying a car.

• katykelly_gw
    18 years ago

Is your interest litigation or cooking?

• chitownfifi
    18 years ago

I don't have arthritis or any other condition in my hands and still can't use All Clad pans with handles! The handles dig into my palm and are just not enjoyable for me. For me, it wasn't worth it. I went with Calphalon One which are a perfect fit for my hand...

• velodoug
    18 years ago

I agree that the new All-Clad handles are awful. Oddly, the older rough looking Master Chef handles with almost the same profile are much more comfortable. The plastic handles on our Farberware Classic pans aren't very comfortable either. DW and I both have arthritis in our hands and we both find that the big flat iron handle on our (very heavy) Mauviel copper sauté pan is quite comfortable to use.

• mercedes_stewart
    18 years ago

New handles? And still bad? Wow. I think it was ten years ago when I almost spent a fortune on an All Clad set. I liked its looks and quality and the sizes where just what I was looking for but those awful handles kept me from buying it.

Vince,

If/when your wife is ready to replace the All Clad set, see if you can find Bourgeat Stainless or Sitram Cybernox. She will love the quality, performance, handles. And the pots aren't as heavy.

• lindac
    18 years ago

I would never ever buy a pan without lifting it as I might when cooking, nor would I buy a knife without holding it.
    But I realize that what feels awkward for you feels just great to another person.
    Actually I think you have no one to blame but yourself for making a decision to buy some thing what was not right for you.
    Linda C