Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for PyroCeram cookware for Microwave use

Posted by UnknownVT (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 19:47

Hi - I'm new here - so please be gentle.

I recently acquired some Corning Ware PyroCeram - that I always considered amazing material.

The piece in question is a 2.5 qt casserole:
Photobucket

It is Corning Ware and PyroCeramic
Photobucket

This means it is ideal for microwave usage.

Except for possibly the lid:
Photobucket

which has a metal screw holding the handle in place:
Photobucket

Details -
Photobucket

I don't know enough about microwaves to whether it is safe to use as-is - or whether that metal screw is going to cause problems.

If it is - I am asking anyone please for ideas of how to fix the handle in place with some microwave and oven safe material.

A friend has suggested using string and a piece of wood to replace the handle components - this is a good temporary solution - but I thought I'd ask the more experienced here for suggestions.

Of course if that metal screw is actually safe in the microwave since it is under cover - then perhaps my question is moot - but at this point in time I am uncomfortable about that.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Vincent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for PyroCeram cookware for Microwave use

Small amounts of metal can be used in most microwaves safely and without damaging it provided that the amount of food being cooked is much greater. For instance if you were cooking drumsticks or a small chicken you can cover the tips with a little aluminum foil so that they don't overcook.
Fill your casserole about 1/4 to 1/2 full of water, put the lid on and power it up on high for 10 seconds and see. I think you'll be fine, however if it does zap or spark then go to plan B.

o
RE: Ideas for PyroCeram cookware for Microwave use

pkguy,

Thank you very much for the suggestion - I appreciate it.

I am going to plan B -
anyone please be kind enough to suggest how to fix the handle assembly with something that's microwave and oven safe?

Thank you,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here