Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txcook

Alzheimer-aluminum connection, what cookware?

txcook
19 years ago

Does anyone know about this? 2 people have told me to quit using aluminum because of this connection. So, what cookware is best? Le Crueset? Chantal?

Comments (17)

• fairegold
    19 years ago

That's all an urban rumor. See the link at the Snopes, com website, and look at the link to the Scientific American article on the same subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: myths

• lindac
    19 years ago

Nonsense!!! The connection between alzheimers and aluminum is less than tenuous.
    Tell those 2 people they are not up to the minute on urban legends.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminum and alzheimers

• caseyb
    19 years ago

Someone recently posted some good information from the Health Canada site (govt site). I'm sure you could find it with a google search. I personally was also concerned about this, and have commercial annodized aluminum cookware - I was not sure if I should be using it. FWIW, I feel better now, and am still using my cookware.

• dereckbc
    19 years ago

More hot air comming out of Texas. LOL Complete nonsense.

• hamptonmeadow
    19 years ago

Absolutely untrue. If you are unsure go to Altzhiemers website and it will reassure you.

• spewey
    19 years ago

While I agree that research has not confirmed any link between aluminum and Alzheimer's, many studies have not categorically dismissed the possibility. Some studies do conclude a link may well exist.

Not that I worry, since I prefer cooking with stainless steel.

With all due sympathy to Alzheimer's victims, I am not so sure I would put the greatest faith in everything they post on their websites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warning

• DianneN
    19 years ago

This has been floating around since the mid '70s, when I was compelled to get rid of my entire set of wedding-gift Club Aluminum cookware. ** Harvest Gold, no less! :-) **
    After then using crappy cookware for most of my adult life, I am just now treating myself to new All Clad and Le Creuset. I didn't realize what a difference good pots and pans can make until I inherited a few nice ones from my MIL.

• sailfish
    19 years ago

I know this for a fact: I used to be into 10 speed bicycles and would do anything to make them light. Removing the plastic tape from the handel bars seemed to be the thing to do. In a thirty minuite outing my hands were black from the aluminum. So does it come off? Yes.. Definatly.. Does it cause alzheimers ? Dunno? I am highly suspect that it is not healthy in one way or another because it sheds. I saw a show where a couple of guys ran to Copper Canyon Mexico on their motorcycles and stopped by a road side vendor selling copper pans. The pans were obviously not lined with tin.. I would not trust them either. It seems to me that Just becuase there is no law against it poeple assume it's healthy. I bet there's not a lot of poeple here that can afford the 15 bucks subscription fee plus a computer that own three dollar aluminum pans. Just another instance where the poor are exposed to toxicity because of big buisiness. Aluminum foil apears to be coated or anodized.. I think it's pretty safe for what it is.. I mean your not deglazing in it. Cover something up for a bit and chuck it. I think there's more to aluminum pans healthwise than is talked about.

• blazedog
    19 years ago

I don't think anybody really cooks in uncoated aluminum pans as they are reactive in cooking. However, there is no danger in using anodized aluminun.

About the only place I've seen uncoated aluminum is in restaurant supply stores -- and you better stop eating in restaurants because this is the type of pan they mostly use.

Uncoated aluminum is perfect for cookware because of its conductivity and baked goods aren't reactive so that's not an issue.

• kframe19
    19 years ago

Did you know there's a definitive link between oxygen and death?

If you breath long enough, eventually you'll die... :-)

• Deanna Goldberg
    19 years ago

Beware of dihydrogen oxide, too....

• lindac
    19 years ago

And....can you imagine the toxicity in all those TV dinners that were eaten for years....in ALUMINUM Trays!
    And how about all those who handle rusting iron....and get that awful red rust on their hands? because it comes off....iron must certainly be toxic!
    Linda C

• hamptonmeadow
    19 years ago

Spewey, the site is the Altzhiemer's Association not a site consisting of the victims of Altz. LOL Pretty funny comment.

• seekingadvice
    18 years ago

Actually, there IS something to the warning. Most people with uncompromised systems are fine, but if you are someone (like me) who has immune problems or inhibited organ function, aluminum toxicity is a real danger. There is much research to be found on this topic - do a search on aluminum toxicity, for example. It isn't coming only from cookware, but from a number of modern enhancements to everyday living, such as deodorants, and works in conjuction with things like fluoride, which is commonly added to our drinking water. We are consuming vastly more aluminum today than humans did in the past, and it is only wise to take precautions if you are or may be one of those whose system is not in perfect running order. And - here's a biggie - one of the most at-risk groups is infants. Guess where aluminum is prevalent? Formula. In an infant, whose system is only beginning to mature, aluminum toxicity is a definite worry. The body stores this metal so the effects are cumulative, meaning that it adds up over time. Just food for thought.

• blondelle
    18 years ago

There are also problems with stainless in it's releasing nickel, which is even more toxix than mercury. Stainless contains nickel in one of it's alloys. It's advised not to sure acidic foods in stainless for long periods. It leaches less the longer the stainless is used though. Also, you may notice that stainless pits easily from salt. Any salt in your food is also removing a teeny amount of it metal that goes into your food.

The only safe cookware is glass, or vitreous coated enamel cookware like Le Creuset. Even LC used to contain cadmium which is toxix in it's coatings, but it was a removed a long time ago.

Anodized aluminum doesn't release the same amount of aluminum that pure aluminum does, but it wears and scratches over time and the aluminum can also leach into food.

• dklp
    18 years ago

Anybody eat in a restaurant? Most of their cookware is aluminum.

• seekingadvice
    18 years ago

Something to consider if you eat in restaurants a lot and have renal disease.

Actually, I'm not trying to say that aluminum cookware is a horrendous health hazard. Aluminum is so ubiquitous in our culture that you ingest/absorb it in many, many ways even if you never touch an aluminum fry pan. It's in toothpaste, deodorant, antacids, salt, fertilizer, baking powder, cream of tartar, processed cheese, tapwater, aspirin and other painkillers...the list goes on and on. In addition to the additives, think how often we use aluminum for storage -beverage cans, foil, etc. If your system is functioning as it should, chances are that most of the aluminum you ingest is simply excreted in your urine. A person like me with renal disease, however, is not so lucky and the Al binds to cells. The elderly, the young, and those with compromised systems ought to be very careful about utilizing products high in aluminum. For whatever reason, the government decided long ago that aluminum was not a probable health danger so no studies were ever required to determine safe levels. Therefore, there is absolutely no regulation as to how much Al may be added to/is allowed in our foods etc., even though it has been recognized for centuries as a toxic agent.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm