Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metaphilos

induction stove power boost function

metaphilos
9 years ago

Have a set of Zwilling cookware and their brochure indicates and customer service recommends that none of their cookware sets be used with the power boost function on induction stove tops. Can anyone recommend a cookware set that can be used without damage on the power boost function. I should point out that Zwilling own Demeyere, which they did not recommend.

Comments (8)

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I use PB whenever I need to boil something -- that's pretty much it. Any other use would scorch whatever you are cooking.

On my induction stove, I mostly use good old Farberware. It is kind of old fashioned looking (the handles), but works great and lasts forever.

• metaphilos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My original question concerns the use of cookware with the power boost function; the fact Zwillings recommends that you not use the power boost function with any of their cookware (I assume this to include Demeyere since they own the company) is because it will damage the cookware. Reviews of cookware for induction stoves indicate that poorer quality cookware when used on the power boost function make more/louder noise. This is due to the layers of metal (i.e. steel - aluminum -steel) moving against the other. Depending on the method that was used to bond them together, determines their quality relative to bonding together. I suspect that Zwillings is saying that the power boost function (because of the amount of induction/vibration/heat ) can damage the cookware. But they did not actually say what would happen, only that they recommend that you not use the function with their cookware.

The difference in quality of cookware has to do with the material they are made from (i.e. the metal used and how they are bonded/welded together). I suspect that the majority of cookware for induction stoves is not suitable for the power boost function.

So, if Zwilling's in their product brochures and customer service indicate that they recommend that you not use their cookware with the power boost function, my question is:

Is anyone aware of another cookware manufacturer that clearly states that you can use their cookware with the power boost function without damage/warping the cookware?

I suspect that the life expectancy of the cookware (depending on how the layers of metal are bonded/welded together) may be shortened from the use of the power boost function.

I have also contacted customer service of the manufacturers of induction stoves (Kenmore, Electrolux) to inquire into what cookware they would recommend using on their induction stoves with the power boost function without damaging the cookware but have not received an answer.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Meta, if a manufacturer says the pans are induction capable, they are induction capable. They can be used on all settings. I have my Bosch induction cooktop for almost four years and use a variety of manufacture,s pans. Nothing at all happens when boost is used except that the water boils. Don't worry or overthink this. I have never heard of nor can I imagine any manufacturer saying not to use the boost function but otherwise induction capable.

By the way, my cookware includes some relatively low priced pots. All my cookware performs perfectly and equally well. Brands include circulon infinite, sur la table, tools of the trade from macys, stainless Le crueset, schluter uffe from tjmaxx,ikea,etc. all work perfectly on boost with absolutely no damage.

Could you quote here the exact language used in the manual which bans the boost feature?

• metaphilos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have noticed that in all forums, for whatever subjects, I seldom see direct answers to questions, but instead, responses in the form of questioning the question.

The pamphlet that came with the Zwillings cookware is titled "Instructions for use and care - cookware
    TWIN Cooking"

inside there is a page with the heading

"Zwilling cookware - pure cooking enjoyment and delightfully easy to care for "

There is a paragraph with heading

"Instructions for induction ovens:
    The risk of overheating is particularly high with induction ovens. Heat up the cookware slowly on medium heat and supervise at all times. Do not use the boost function."

If I had to, I could make a zerox copy of the above, but that is getting silly from my point of view.

The following is a copy of the body of the email reponse I received back from Zwilling Canada;
    Hi,

Thank you for your purchase of the Joy cookware set. In general we do not recommend using the boost function on any of our cookware. The best course of action is to slowly increase the temperature of the cookware by using medium heat.

Regards,

Eric Beuth

Customer Service & Order Desk Supervisor

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Canada Ltd.
    Tel. 905-475-2555 x 263
    Fax 905-475-0635

ebeuth@zwilling.ca
    http://www.zwilling.ca

The above response from Zwilling was in response to my email with the question :

Are any of your cookware sets usable
    on the power boost function of induction stove tops. I have a set of Joy cook ware and the instructions say not to use the power boil/boost function.

My question posed in this forum was obviously addressed to anyone who might have an answer to my question as stated in my previous forum entries; anyone who does not accept the validity of my question, of course will not be able to answer my question; so why bother replying? I am asking in the hope of getting an answer. not proving the worthiness of the question.

I could phone Zwilling at the number they have provided, but my reluctance is based on the following reasoning;

1. I suspect there is a technical reason they do not recommend using the power boost function and that is the reason they do not state it in the pamphlet or in the email respose to me question.

2. In my question to them I explicitly asked if any of their cookware could be used with the power boil/boost function and because of their answer I would not bother replacing my JOY set with another of their cookware sets.

3.So, my hope/plan was to "simply" find a brand/manufacturer that directly indicates that you can use their cookware with the power boost function; why?, because
    Zwilling say not to. It cannot be any clearer than that.

Finally, it is not that big an issue since the power boost function is only used for boiling water, but it would be nice to use (My wife and I had already been using it until we noticed the instructions not to and I subsequently contacted Zwilling)
    We purchased the cookware just recently, but prior to purchasing the induction stove. I was going to give the set of cookware to my son and purchase a new set, so that is why i asked Zwilling if any of their cookware can be used with the power boost function. But sadly, no.

So, if anyone has proof (the manufacturer states that their cookware can be used with the power function without voiding the warranty or damaging the cookware, please let me know.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Elsewhere on this forum a comment was made to the effect that the reason the boost function was not recommended for layered pans was that the layers responded differently to the magnetic field, creating vibration that, over time, could lead to delamination of the layers. The source of that information was not given. However, if that information is valid, then I would think that single layer, induction capable cookware would be a better fit for the induction boost function. So, I would try contacting DeBuyer and asking about using the Mineral B pans' compatibility with the boost function. I shall apologize, in advance, since this answer doesn't meet the exact specifications of your question, so spare me the castigation. My response, as are others, is intended in the spirit of helpfulness.

• metaphilos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for your answer to my question and your suggestion. I will follow up on that. Yes, I was aware of the suspected cause of the problem as I had seen some reviews of cookware that related the problem of excessive noise in the form of loud humming/vibration that was due to layers of different metal in the cookware, moving against one another at different rates due to the excessive energy of the power boost function. I have contacted Fissler and they have indicated to me that their cookware is safe with the use of the power boost function, and I intend to check out De Buyer. Thank you again.

• westsider40
    8 years ago

Meta, this is old but I apologize to you. zwilling/Henckels did say no boost to you. I thought it was ridiculous so I erroneously assumed that you misread it. You were correct.

They said it but it does not speak well for their product. One of the most attractive and popular features of induction is the quick boil. I'm not even sure that my wonderful Bosch would boil without the use of the boost feature . I have only attempted to boil with the use of boost.

And remember, 'boost' is only used to attain the boil, but not to maintain the boil. It will boil over if you keep it on boost. I have posted before about this on appliances forum.

the shutoff timers are really a wonderful, distinguishing , feature of certain inductions. I know that Miele and Bosch have them. They actually shut off the hob if set up to do so. As opposed to a timer which will make a noise in accordance with a pre arranged time. What if you ventured out to the backyard and didn't hear the noise?

There is a learning curve in using induction cooktops. A lot of errors falsely attributed to flawed inductions are really unfamiliarity, inexperience, user error, etc. with how induction works. For example, I thought that I had a faulty unit because no matter how hard I pushed the thingy, it would not turn on. Well, all I had to do was rest my finger on the thingy, and it worked. My 20 year old got it very quickly, but I didn't. I pushed harder and harder. Which certainly colors online reviews, as I now have learned. Induction bashers are user errors, Imho, as time goes on. Hth