Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pizza Stone - Did I buy the right/wrong thing?

Posted by elisamcs (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 18, 07 at 17:09

I bought a 16 inch square tile at Home Depot. It's the perfect size for my oven, but it has a low sheen glaze on it. Can I still use this for pizza? I read all the posts on this that I could find, and everyone says to buy unglazed quarry tiles, but I thought that the price and the good size made this one a good gamble. Keep or return?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pizza Stone - Did I buy the right/wrong thing?

Return it. The glaze might not be safe for food preparation. My unglazed saltillo tiles were only $.99 at Home Depot.

o

Not only might the glaze be unsafe for food use, but a glazed tile won't give you the results you want. The unglazed tile/pizza stones are porous and absorbant. The reason you get such a fabulous crust on them, is that they pull moisture from your dough, making the finished product nice and crisp. The glazed tile won't do that for you.

o

Can you just flip it over to the unglzed side? There might be some sort of texture though...

I would just go get some unglazed tile. :)

o

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I went and bought 6, 6 inch travertine tiles, put them on the oven rack, and cooked the best pizza I've ever made on them. The total surface is 12 X 18, and costs less than $13. I use an unrimmed cookie sheet as a peel - using cornmeal - and it worked just fine.

o

Isn't travertine marble?

o

Sunnyco:

I honestly don't know. They're not as smooth as I would expect marble to be, and they're pitted, some more than others. Does that help?

o

I went to Home Depot today looking for saltillo Mexican tiles and was told that the manufacturer stopped making them a couple of months ago. Lowes told me the same thing a day before. So I headed back to the tiles section and picked up eight 6" Mayflower quarry stone tiles for 30 cents each. Red stuff and unglazed. Is this what everybody is talking about? I can't wait to try it out this weekend with Costco's 16" square pizza. Can I wash these tiles before use?

Thanks

o

Don't use soap, because they are porous. Just scrub them with water, and maybe a little white vinegar, and make sure you let them heat up well before you put your pizza on.

o

I was hunting high and low for the quarry tiles, but just couldn't find them anywhere. I settled for the travertine tiles which work wonderfully. But at 30 cents for the quarry tiles, I should have looked longer!

o

You bought the wrong thing, return it before someone becomes ill. I can see the headlines now.....

o

I just picked up an 18" X 18" piece of Travertine from a local tile outlet and when I asked the guy behind the counter how much it would be he said "take it, it's a sample". The thing about travertine is, though it looks glazed, the shiny side is that way because it was polished, no chemicals involved.

I wish it was a little thicker, but you can't beat FREE!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here