Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blender... full size or stick?

Posted by vacuumfreak (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 9, 07 at 16:37

Okay... I just got my first apartment and while I LOVE kitchen gadgets space is limited. I already have a great Kitchen Aid stand mixer that I love. Got it for 30 bucks when I was 16 (23 now!) after my antique Mixmaster gave up the ghost. It works flawlessly and I leave it out on the counter because I enjoy the looks. It is the kind without the bowl lift, and just basic white, but serves me well. And, I have a La Moulnex food processor that my grandmother gave me years ago. It has the standard blade, and the shredding/slicing disk. Question is, do I NEED a blender and if so, what kind should I buy. I tried to do some liquid (milkshake I believe) in the food processor and it was spewing out the top. I am sure I need a blender, for soups, shakes and the like. Maybe not a full size one because of the other two appliances I already have. If I get a full sized blender, I would want a nice metal one with a glass jar that I could leave out all the time for looks, though I may not use it much. Since counter/cabinet space is limited do you think a stick blender would work well for me? Things like shakes, soups, and CRUSHING ICE every once in a while. Also, making crumbs from homemade bread. Can I get by with that, or should I really invest in a full size? What are the limitations of a stick? I would want a quality one with a metal shaft and blade guard and a variable speed motor. I want as little plastic as possible, since I really hate modern and cheap stuff. Are there any that also have attachments? I have once used a plastic Braun with a simple on/off switch.. bad quality but neat idea. What would you recommend? And, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blender... full size or stick?

I have had a Kitchen Aid stick blender for 3 years now and it
does all I need it to do.

There are attachments that I don't have but would work for bread crumbs and crushed ice.

o

I guess it really depends on how often you do those tasks you mention.

I have both and I only use the full sized blender for smoothies, shakes and frozen drinks. But for cooking I find the stick blender much more useful.

Have you thought about that Magic Bullet thingy from the infomercial for making shakes and crusing ice? I don't have one myself, but if space were limited I would think it would be a cool tool to have. I am also not sure if it is worth the $$$ or not. Maybe others can help.

o

I have both and use the full-sized blender more. When I was given a stick blender as a gift, I was thrilled because I thought I could pureee soups and vegetables right on the stove top. However, I don't use metal utensils on my pots and pans, so I was always worried about scratching my tin linings.

o

I have an old Bamix stick blender with several blades & a small counter blender with glass container. I have only used the full blender several times (several years ago) to make Pina Coladas. It's pretty much a waste of space for me. The stick blender does it all, easier, better, & much less space & clean up. I probably could have just as well used it for the drinks, too, since it will make "snow" out of ice cubes! The counter blender will probably go in my next yard sale.

o

Food processors do a lot of useful things but they do not replace blenders because they don't work well for large volumes of liquid.

If you use the blender mostly for beverages, as I do, a regular one is more convenient. When I tried a stick blender I used it so little that I gave it away. Maybe it was habit, or the fact that I keep my regular blender out on the counter but kept the stick in a cabinet. Even for large pots of soup, I found it less tedious to use the regular blender, even when it took several batches, than have to have to stand over the pot holding the stick. Plus it never achieved the same velvet-y smoothness, while a regular blender can be used to make a rougher soup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here