Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sifters

Posted by vacuumfreak (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 9, 07 at 16:23

Hi there. I must be off my rocker... I simply prefer an old fashioned flour sifter like grandma used to have. The one with the crank and the wires that scrape the screen. When I went to buy one for my first apartment I was shocked to see BATTERY operated sifters... and the kind with a squeeze trigger and hexagonal disk that moves to get the flour or powdered sugar through. They wear my hand out, are harder to clean (the one I was forced to buy has two layers of screen... as if it wasn't terrible enough!), and take longer to use. I think sometimes that the old fashioned simple things are fine and needn't be improved upon! I guess I will have to order a good sifter online, and throw this modern junk in the garbage pail. How do YOU feel about your flour sifters?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sifters

All I use is a plain mesh sieve. Never found the need for any formal sifter, as this does the job just fine.

I always thought sifters were kind of fussy, and easy to break. Lestwise, every one I've seen struck me that way. Growing up my Mom probably went through two of them a year, and, if anything, those made today are even flimsier.

o
RE: sifters

Few recipes today are formulated for using sifted flour. So I don't. I just give the dry ingredients a quick stir with a whisk to combine. Don't even own a flour sifter--if I do run across a bag of flour or powdered sugar that's lumpy, I'll put it in a wire sieve and stir with a spoon to sift it. As a home ec teacher, I don't even teach my students to sift any more--it's really not necessary with today's flours. And I guess the proof is in the pudding--my recipes have won bags full of state fair ribbons, and many national contests--without sifting. So don't feel guilty about dropping that habit, if it suits you.

How are you cleaning your sifter? All you are supposed to do, is shake it out. You aren't washing it, are you? That's a huge no-no for sifters. When you wash them, the flour turns gluey and eventually clogs up the holes. Also, since one is never supposed to get a sifter wet, the wire mesh used in them is a type that will rust eventually if it gets wet repeatedly. Just give it a few whacks over the sink, to get rid of any loose flour, then set it in your cupboard in a throw-away pie pan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here