Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does it make sense to use a 12' pan on a 10' glass top burner?

Posted by cupofkindness (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 14, 07 at 15:52

I'm thinking of buying the fabulous 5 quart Calphalon tri-ply saute' pan, which has an arched handle and a loop helper handle. It's fully 12" across the bottom and about 3 1/2" tall, and has the glass domed lid. The biggest burner on my cooktop is a 10" burner, and this burner puts our a lot of heat. It's double ringed, meaning that you can shut off the outer ring (about 2" wide) or the inner circle (about 6" across). Is this pan just too big for this burner and therefore only useful in the oven? it is fully one quart larger than the tri-ply Everyday Pan, which measures 10" across the bottom but 12" across the top. The 5 quart pan and the Everyday pan have the same sized lid. I have a large family and cook a lot of big meals, so I can use a big pan, but don't want to invest in one if my cooktop cannot utilize the large scale of the pan. Thanks in advance for your helpful replies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Calphalon 5 Quart Saute' Pan On Amazon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does it make sense to use a 12' pan on a 10' glass top burne

imho, the purpose of the tri-ply is to disperse the heat evenly when the source is uneven (electric elements). Example: a simple stainless pan would get hot spots in areas where it was in direct contact with the electric element and be cooler on the extreme outer edges. The heavier clad or tri-ply cookware evens out the heat so you have no hot spots. This would mean that your 12" pan would be fine because it would disperse equal heat over the entire bottom. I'm sure someone will tell me if I misunderstand.

o

Oh, 12" pan. Your title said 12'! I was getting ready to reply that you'd probably want to use that over an open fire, like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Biggest Paella Pan

o

I have 12" high-side skillets like yours that I use on 7 1/2" coils. The heat is not even at the edges but it is still perfectly useful and sufficiently dispersed for use with many preparations that have a lot of liquid. I don't get even browning with it for obvious reasons but for liquidy preparations its just fine. Lid-on simmering, especially, is just fine and reductions work well with that big suface area.

o

Hi! You know, I typed 12 inches but when it submitted the inch " symbol was changed to a foot ' symbol. Oh well. And that paella pan is fabulous. What a fun event that must have been.

I called Whirlpool and they told me that actually, my burner is a nine inch one, and that a 12 inch pan is too big and could cause the glass cooktop to crack. However, I think as long as I keep the temperatures low, I'll be fine. Asolo, thanks for the confirmation with your experience. I do think that a coil top is tougher than a ceramic glass cooktop, it doesn't need to be babied. I abused mine before my glass cook top and it never affected it's performance.

o

FWIW, I also have a two-year-old GE smooth-top range at another location that I use regularly. Same types of pans there. I use the 12-inchers on the 9" element (just like yours) all the time. Usually begin with high heat, then turn down. Never a problem.

o

Asolo:

After using my gigantic double griddle on my cooktop, over my nine inch and six inch burners, I'm beginning to think that if I'm careful, this pan will not be a problem. I think you're right. I'm keeping the pan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here