Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Impressions: paper wheel knife sharpener

Posted by arley (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 7, 07 at 14:48

I recently bought a paper wheel knife sharpening system. Here are my initial impressions:

Pros: Man, does this thing make knives SHARP! Whoa. Pretty easy to learn; by my second knife I made an edge which would shave the hairs off my forearm. The last one I did, an old heavy thick meat cleaver, ended up with an edge which easily sliced a 1/8 thick slice of an overripe tomato.
I learned how to use a whetstone when I was a kid, and could occasionally get an edge close to what these wheels did, but it took forever. That's the other advantage of this system,it's really quick: even the dullest knife only took a few minutes to sharpen up.

Cons: While the total cost isn't that great (~$40 for the wheels, another $30-$50 for a dedicated grinder (I found a cheapo at Big Lots for $20, works fine)) the best setup might be to have a spot in your workshop or utility room for this. As you use it it spits off little bits of gunk (wax + grit)and it makes the counter around it a little messy. That's not a major complaint, though; cleanup didn't take that long. Next time I'll put newspaper under it.

If you have the storage space or work space for it, I highly recommend it. If you have a tiny kitchen and no storage, don't get it.

The link is to the website where I bought the wheels. You can also buy an inexpensive book there on sharpening, although the instructions for use for the wheels are more than enough to learn how to use them.

The guy who runs the website reviews other sharpening gadgets as well.

Full Disclosure: I have no financial interest in this website or these products. I liked the performance of this item and thought I'd share my impressions.

Here is a link that might be useful: paper wheel and other sharpeners

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Impressions: paper wheel knife sharpener

As someone perpetually on the look-out for better ways to sharpen knives, I thank you for this post. Now, to ask DH for a bit of his shop space. . .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here