Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sconti_95

Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker

sconti_95
12 years ago

Thinking of replacing my old Presto pressure cooker with a Kuhn Rikon 3.75 qt pressure cooker. They are pricey ($199.00 on-line). Would like some thoughts and opinions before I spend that kind of money. Quality is important as well as design and appearance. Thank You !!

Comments (11)

• KatieDid007
    12 years ago

I want to use my pressure cooker but can't on the glasstop..Hate that stove sometimes..Tried one of those electic one burners but didn't get hot enough for the pressure cooker..any suggestions?

• cj47
    12 years ago

I have two Kuhn-Rikon pressure cookers, and they're terrific. I have the turn top models, and I like them very much. It's easy to keep an eye on the pressure level from anywhere in the room, and you don't have to stand there and hold down the button to release the pressure when you want to do a quick release. I have had them for about 5 years and am more than satisfied with the performance. I used them on a radiant heat glass top for about 4 years, and on induction (also glass top) for the last year.

Cj

• olga_6b
    12 years ago

Katie, why can't you use your pressure cooker on glass top? I have Kuhn Rikon bigger than 3.75 ( 5qt?) and use it on glass top all the time. I have it for several years.
    Sconti, KR is very good, but I think bigger size could be more prcatical. You don't fill your cooker all way up, so 3,75 size will be only to cook probably one meal for 2-3 people.
    Olga

• cj47
    12 years ago

Kati, I think it's the huge, heavy pressure canners that can't be used on the radiant glasstop stoves, not the smaller pressure cookers designed to cook meals. I'd double check the user manual that came with your stove.

Cj

• Trishcuit
    11 years ago

Mine had a plastic valve release cover (the round thing that sits on the knob on top). It broke completely and then again after trying to glue and duct tape it. It worked ok without it for a while but I think I need to take a good look and find a way to order a new thingie. The only place I found for that particular model will ship the item for more than what it costs to buy it. It's only a little thing that will fit in a CD bubble envelope!
    But until that happened, it is the BEST. POT. EVER>

• pmailkeey
    11 years ago

Just got a pair of 5l versions - noting Amazon.com stating the base is dishwasher safe. Sadly, KR say as the handles are made of Bakelite, it's not advisable to put in dishwasher as the temperature will damage the handles!

That'll be the only niggle if I can avoid burning food to the bottom of it - as obviously, you can't stir the contents with the lid on!

As for the plastic valve release cover - if that's the blue thing in the accompanying image, it's not important - the cooker will work just as well without it.

• pmailkeey
    11 years ago

Just got a pair of 5l versions - noting Amazon.com stating the base is dishwasher safe. Sadly, KR say as the handles are made of Bakelite, it's not advisable to put in dishwasher as the temperature will damage the handles!

That'll be the only niggle if I can avoid burning food to the bottom of it - as obviously, you can't stir the contents with the lid on!

As for the plastic valve release cover - if that's the blue dished disc thing in the accompanying image, it's not important - the cooker will work just as well without it.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

I purchased a Kuhn-Rikon pressure cooker about 7 years ago--the one with the risotto recipe on a green disc. It made wonderful risotto without my having to stand over it, endlessly stirring away, and I extolled its virtues to everyone. Unfortunately, it started leaking pressure and steam after about 6 batches of risotto. Customer service referred me to a parts vendor. Three different parts and postage fees later, the results were poor. I cannot use the pressure cooker and will not purchase another Kuhn-Rikon. I think they are waaaay overrated.

• pmailkeey
    11 years ago

Did it leak from the valve or the seal ?

Apart from the non-dishwasher safe handles, I like the KR - particularly the pressure gauge - used in conjunction with the hob power settings, it gives an idea of whether food's cooked through.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

I replaced both valve and seal since both leaked, and still had the same problem with the valve thereafter. Something is wrong with the piece where the valve inserts, I suspect, but no one is helpful with regard to this matter.

• pmailkeey
    11 years ago

I've not had the valve in bits and haven't found a blown-up diagram of it so am unable to advise on correct assembly.

My first suggestion is to try it again without the plastic cone-shaped cap in place so you can see where the steam's leaking from. This'll rule out the other valve being the problem or, if you've had the whole valve assembly removed from the lid and put it back on incorrectly or without the black 'O' ring seal in place.

After checking that, it's a case of checking the valve's been assembled correctly.

After checking that, try it again but before putting the lid on, with the lid upside-down, pour some clean water into the centre of the valve while working the valve a bit with the other hand. The valve uses water as a seal - this it normally gets from condensation during use but if the valve's dry to start with, it will leak for a time first - until enough water's condensed in the valve body to form the seal.

That's about all I can suggest at the moment - if there's anything you've not already tried I've listed above, try them and see how you get on.

Mike.