Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean a sticky baking stone?

Posted by onmiown3 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 14, 07 at 14:15

Hi all!

I recently purchased a baking stone from a cooking show and have used it about 3 times. I was told to cook high fat items for the first few uses or to lightly brush the surface with oil if the item was low fat.

Well, the last time used it the item was low fat, so I lightly brushed the surface with oil. The stone came out all sticky after baking my bread! You know that tacky feeling oil sometimes gets? Well, that's what my entire stone feels like.

How do I fix this? I've tried "baking" it off but it didn't work.

Thanks so much!
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean a sticky baking stone?

Your baking stone will be fine. A few more high temp bake sessions in the oven by itself.

o

Thanks Laat2!

I'll try putting it in the oven a few more times this week.

Kim

o

Just store it in the oven. I keep my stones on the bottom shelf of my oven at all times--whether I'm using the stone for what I'm baking or not.

Oil really isn't a good product for seasoning, though--as it does tend to get sticky. Solid shortening does a much better job in most cases--it will turn hard and slick (non-sticky) much more readily than oil will.

o

Azzalea, do you mean the bottom rack of the oven, or the actual bottom of the oven?

o

Bottom rack--nothing should be on the floor of the oven (not even foil, in the case of a gas oven), it impedes the heat getting to the interior of the oven properly.

o

Hi All,

I put the stone on the bottom rack of the oven the last two nights while I cooked and it worked! The stickiness is gone.

Azzalea, can I use butter to season? I have a stoneware loaf pan that I need to season, but I don't have solid shortening in the house. I baked a very high fat banana bread in the pan and it sucked all the moisture right out of the bread so I want to season the pan before my next use.

Thanks all!
Kim

o

NO! Do not use butter. It burns too easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here