Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitownfifi_gw

lasagna pan

chitownfifi
19 years ago

Does anyone have a favorite pan for lasagna? What about that pan makes you love it?

Comments (23)

• Judyz7
    19 years ago

I love the scanpan lasagne pan. It is sooo easy to clean!

• dereckbc
    19 years ago

Just a plain old pyrex glass 9x13 cassarole dish. Do not believe in uni-task kitchen pots-n-pans. Takes up to much space and money.

• lindac
    19 years ago

My 9 by 13 pyrex bubbles over......I am a senior citizen....don't know why I don't buy myself a lasagna pan!
    Linda C

• claire_de_luna
    19 years ago

I have a Dansk pan that is black enamel over steel, with a white interior. I love it because it's fairly light, has handles that let me balance the weight of the pan, and is easy to clean. You can check E-bay for them, they come in all colors.

Ok, I think I may just have to make lasagne now...

• mustangs81
    19 years ago

My first and I too am wondering why I didn't get one before, I'm Italian for Pete's sake.

I just got an Emeril lasagna pan for a good price at Tuesday Morning. It's red so I used if for stuffed french toast for Christmas brunch.

• steve_o
    19 years ago

Cooks Illustrated did a test on lasagna pans not too long ago (or maybe it was a while ago; time flies when you're having fun). It's probably on their (subscription) Web site or you might find the back issue at your library. IIRC, they voted for a regular roasting pan rather than a specific "lasanga" pan.

• snookums
    19 years ago

Another vote for a basic pyrex pan. The lasagna bubbling over will have more to do with the ingredients and the "construction" of the lasagna, as well as the cooking time and temperature, not the pan.

I also make manicotti in it, as well as enchiladas.

• alku05
    17 years ago

I'm in the market for a new lasagna pan. Like many, I currently use a standard 9x13 pyrex dish. I really would like a deeper pan for this, probably ~3" or so, ceramic, enamaled or stoneware is all fine, but no exposed metal please.

The Mario Batali lasagne pan is very tempting...except for the not so nice colors (c'mon Mario, no red?). I can get over color though. Easy to clean and deep are the main concerns. That and price. The Batali goes for about $80, which I'm willing to pay, but obviously would prefer a lower pricepoint.

Any good suggestions for me to look at?

Here is a link that might be useful: Batali pan

• velodoug
    17 years ago

We have three sizes of rectangular Pyrex pans. We always use the one that's just slightly too small :-)

• azzalea
    17 years ago

I ONLY use those throw-away aluminum pans for lasagna these days. They're the easiest of all to clean--LOL!

• alku05
    17 years ago

Velodoug, I think that's a law or something! I'm sure that even if we made lasagna in a huge 10 qt pan, the pan would be just slightly too small :)

• rdwright
    17 years ago

We just got one by Emile Henry which is terrific. I've been using Pyrex for years, but the Emile Henry is easier to clean, looks better, and seems to cook more evenly. Of course, that could be because of our new oven. Anyway, we really like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emile Henry Lasagna Pan

• bungalowbees
    17 years ago

alku05, I have that Batali pan & I love it (sorry!). Like you I'd rather have red but the orange is fine in my blue & green kitchen. Here's why I like it:
    -- straight sides
    -- fabulous heat retention
    -- easy to clean
    -- can't break like all the other rectangular pans of my past
    -- nice color (YMMV) to set down on the table (wish there were nice reds or blues instead of cream/brown, the cream is lovely but will it stay cream???)
    -- mysteriously I never "bubble over" (I think it's deeper than most pans, or holds more with the straight sides)

On the down side, it IS heavy. But that's related to the "fabulous heat retention" so I'm fine with that. I bought the Batali pan because I'd broken my last rectangle -- something I'm prone to doing..... I put all kinds of things in that pan.

Thumbs up on the Batali lasagne/baker.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    17 years ago

I have the Mario Batali lasagne pan in Crema. Cleans easily, it's deep, everything that athomein1914 said. Crate and Barrel has it in red, white and green.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Lasagne pan

• alku05
    17 years ago

Dishesdone, you just made my day!! Glad to hear that both you and Athome both love that pan. The straight sides are a big plus to me over the Emile Henry.

Now all I have to do is pony up the $80. That may take a while so that I can get used to the idea of spending so much on a baking dish. Especially since I just splurged and ordered myself a 5.5 qt round Le Creuset (my first!)over Christmas...

• bungalowbees
    17 years ago

alku05, budget willing, this red Batali pan has your name on it. I don't part with money easily but mine really earns its keep. Definitely hold out for that red when you're ready.

There's also a "pesto" for green lovers.

Big name companies often have a common product in a special color or exclusive model which complicates the shopping process for me.

• blondelle
    17 years ago

Here's a nice red one for you ;-). It's the cast iron Techniques one. Looks really nice. Also check out the set of three au gratins. They look exactly like the Le Creuset ones.

www.qvc.com Item Number K3485

• Denise Evans
    17 years ago

I love my Le Creuset cast iron roasting pan. Have had it for thirty years. It weighs a ton, but does a wonderful job.

• blondelle
    17 years ago

Unfortunately cast iron can, and does break as easily as glass if dropped. Cast iron is very brittle. You might crack it if it falls on it's long side, as well as a toe, so do be careful with it!

• dalepar
    17 years ago

I have several pans that are named as lasagna pans that I would never use as such. As with the pyrex pan, they are all too shallow. I make a hearty three layer lasagna. My pan of choice in my kitchen is a large and deep ceramic baking pan. I do not know the name brand, and it is not marked with one. I bought it some years ago at a kitchen store. May have been williams sonoma. My point is keep your eyes open when shopping and you will find the pan that fits your style.

DP

• Marigene
    17 years ago

I found an inexpensive ($12.99) 3 quart stoneware rectangular dish that is deep enough for lasagne at Walmart. It is 3" deep. I bought it for something else and have used it for lasagne several times. You certainly can't beat the price.

• alku05
    17 years ago

Could I use an enamaled cast iron lasagne pan like the Batali for a roasting pan as well? What about on the stovetop (like making gravy after the chicken is roasted)? Double duty would be a definite plus, and would help justify the cost. If it won't be able to be used as a roasting pan as well, then I'd probably only shell out the $13 for the stoneware pan that marigene suggested.

• Marigene
    17 years ago

Yes, you can use the Batali pan to roast in. Several on the CF use it for high heat roasting, 450-500 degrees. I don't see why it couldn't be used on top of the stove to make the gravy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Batali roasting pan