Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these utensils called?

Posted by claire (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 13:17

I lived in Germany for a few years in the late '70's and I bought these two cooking utensils without really knowing what they were, except that I thought they'd probably be good for mixing food. At first I just stirred rapidly with them, which worked, but I eventually learned that you can spin them like a propeller if you spin the shaft between your two hands (a German woman mentioned that - she didn't know what they were called).

I still use them for things like mixing powdered milk and water in a refrigerator container. A quick swirl/spin and it's done without pulling out an electric mixer or having to use a bowl with a whisk and then pouring the milk into the refrigerator jar.

I lived for years without knowing what they're called, but now it's annoying me. I tried googling, but all I could find was one picture of a similar utensil in a set of vintage German utensils with no names.

Does anyone know what these utensils are called? At the time I bought cooking spoons of various sizes, all made out of the same plastic-like material and they've all lasted beautifully

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks,
Claire

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these utensils called?

It looks as if they either could be muddlers for mixing drinks or using for mixing a Mexican hot chocolate drink. I can't think of the name of it right now. But that would be my guesses. NancyLouise

o

Thanks, NancyLouise. My impression is that these are used in cooking, not in bartending or drink making, but I could be wrong.

Claire

o
What are these utensils called?

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 17:44

NancyLouise: It may be used for both cooking and mixing drinks.

I've been searching further and found a group of utensils, made of melamine by Rosti, and one of them is called a hand mixer and looks similar though not the same. I also have several of these other utensils from my days in Germany.

Amazon also carries this, in different colors, and calls it a mixing spoon, saying: "This melamine mixing spoon is great for beating eggs or mixing drinks. Rub the mixing spoon between two hands to rapidly spin the mixer back and forth."

So maybe mine are just an older model of a Danish "hand mixer" or "mixing spoon" and there isn't a special name for them.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 17:47

o

Looks like a modern German version of a "Molinillo" a Mexican wisk used to "bate chocolate"

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 20:06

Thanks, ctycdm! I was stuck without power for a few days due to a blizzard in Massachusetts so I didn't get your email earlier.

I googled 'Molinillo' and apparently it's used by spinning between the palms to create that vortex that makes a good froth if you try hard, just as the German tool is. I found this reference which says the Spaniards brought chocolate and chocolate apparatus back to Europe from Mexico and presumably the Germans happily adopted it.

When I checked Google Images for Molinillo I also found this reference showing a molinillo from India which is used "to make frothy buttermilk and lassis". It's much simpler than those beautiful Mexican wooden tools and is more like my German ones. Mexico does seem to be the source. Chocolate inspires invention! A fine reason to eat or drink chocolate.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 20:08

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here