Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

What are these utensils called?

I lived in Germany for a few years in the late '70's and I bought these two cooking utensils without really knowing what they were, except that I thought they'd probably be good for mixing food. At first I just stirred rapidly with them, which worked, but I eventually learned that you can spin them like a propeller if you spin the shaft between your two hands (a German woman mentioned that - she didn't know what they were called).

I still use them for things like mixing powdered milk and water in a refrigerator container. A quick swirl/spin and it's done without pulling out an electric mixer or having to use a bowl with a whisk and then pouring the milk into the refrigerator jar.

I lived for years without knowing what they're called, but now it's annoying me. I tried googling, but all I could find was one picture of a similar utensil in a set of vintage German utensils with no names.

Does anyone know what these utensils are called? At the time I bought cooking spoons of various sizes, all made out of the same plastic-like material and they've all lasted beautifully

Thanks,
Claire

Comments (5)