Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
le creuset style cookware at Ikea

Posted by norwega (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 24, 09 at 13:16

Has anyone bought the Le Creuset/Staub style cookware at Ikea? The 5 qt is $50! It looks like the Le Creuset $210) , but of course is made in China. The Ikea cookware name is "Senior". What do you think?

Ikea 5qt casserole $50

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: le creuset style cookware at Ikea

I can't comment specifically on the Ikea brand of enameled cast iron, but if you're in the U.S., you can go to any store along the lines of Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc. and buy heavily discounted cookware from well-known and reviewed manufacturers. You could easily buy a name brand 5qt "Dutch" oven at my local Marshall's any day of the week for no more than $30-40. I haven't seen any Le Creuset there, but I have seen plenty of other respectable brands. I love Ikea, but I don't trust their quality enough to spend even $50 on something that should last 20+ years.

If I wanted to pay retail (nothing wrong with it if you have specific color preferences or need something *right now*) and stick within that price range, I'd be looking at Lodge products.

o

I agree with jenc511. I recently purchased a Le Creuset 6 3/4 quart wide Dutch oven at Marshall's for under $150. Now, that may not seem like a steal, but it retails for around $320, and it's not made in China ;o) I have an older Martha Stewart enameled cast iron Dutch oven (which is made in China), and there is no comparison to the quality of the Le Creuset, or Staub, or Nomar. Trust me, there is a difference.

o

Lodge cookware is made in the USA (but not the enameled cookware, it is made in China) and is good quality. About the cheapest Lodge cookware is at Academy Sports if there is one near you (example: 6 qt enamel dutch oven, $49 at Academy, $59 at WalMart, $69 at BassPro) and another good source for Lodge is Old Tyme Pottery if there is one near you.

o

I just bought a Lafont enameled cast iron 3.5 quart dutch oven at Home Goods in Encinitas, CA. When I got home I did some research and Lafont is highly rated by professional restaurant test kitchens in Europe, and by users on Amazon.com and buzzillions. I paid $39.99, and it comes with 1 wooden, 1 cast iron knob (oven use). They had all shapes, sizes, colors of Lafont cookware, it carries a lifetime guarantee. I believe it is made in France, of the highest quality materials.

o

Tuesday Morning has some pieces of Le Creuset, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here