Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zwilling J. A. Henckels Twin Spirit Thermolon

Posted by woodysapsucker (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 12:53

When we switch to an induction cooktop later this year I will need to purchase new cookware. I was wondering if anyone has used the Zwilling J. A. Henckels Twin Spirit Thermolon cookware. Most of the reviews that I've seen are really good. My big question is - have any of you put this cookware in the dishwasher and how does it hold up? The Zwilling site says that it is dishwasher safe but I see many of the reviews that say they never put it in the dishwasher. I'm definitely not keen on doing dishes so I only want to consider cookware that is dishwasher safe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zwilling J. A. Henckels Twin Spirit Thermolon

I don't own any, but do recall seeing one review on Amazon from a couple who've owned it for several years and treat it badly. By which I mean they're not gentle. I do not recall if they put it in their DW. They do report that it's held up well for them.

Are you committed to nonstick? I ask because modern DW detergents, especially the more powerful ones that work well, like Cascade Complete and Finish Quantum, contain harsh ingredients that will shorten the life of nonstick cookware, even the new ceramic finishes.

IMO, if you want your cookware to last, you'll need to use a plain powder type detergent, without any rinse aids or boosters (and can't add them on your own). This will cut down on the effectiveness of the DW, but it will be better for your pans.

o

If I may offer a suggestion? I recently switched to induction and like you, needed new pans. I had been using, for the last 12+ years, Calphalon Tri-Ply, fully clad stainless steel, like the Spirit, but without the nonstick coating. For weight reasons (the pan's, not mine) I decided to go with lighter pans this time around.

I like aluminum for it's lighter weight and responsiveness, so chose a few pans that I wouldn't mind hand washing. I found it's really easy because nothing sticks to them.

I bought two Mauviel M'Stone pans, a sauté and a stewpot. I also picked up a 10" Invoca frypan at TJ Maxx. All three are anodized aluminum, which makes for a fairly nonstick exterior, too. Plus, food doesn't get burned on with induction, because there's no flame and no hot glass, so there's even less to clean on the outside. Anyway, they wipe clean with a soapy sponge and go onto my drying rack.

For the rest I chose the dirt cheap but built like a tank Vollrath Optio, a commercial line. Those are my saucepans and stockpots. Because I'm using them for liquids, sticking isn't a problem and I toss them right into the DW. I use Finish Quantum, which is really aggressive stuff, and they shine every time.

BTW, I like my induction range WAY more than I thought I would. I wanted response that was somewhat close to gas. I got it, in spades. Plus, it's blazing fast, too! Couldn't be happier. :)

o

FLsandytoes I really appreciate your advice - thanks!

o

Have you got your induction cooktop yet? Chosen pans? I did recently score a Spirit 3qt sauté from Amazon's warehouse for a song. The pan looked brand new, but the box was dented. So sad. :)

Anyway, I haven't put the pan into the dishwasher, because it is ridiculously easy to clean. Really, it is. I do tend to baby it, but I like my nonstick to last a long time. What I wanted to tell you is how impressed I've been with the pan.

First, the construction is first-rate. The pan is heavy for it's size, but very well balanced. The handle is cast steel and pretty substantial, which contributes to weight, but I think also helps balance. It's a fairly thick pan, I'd say thicker than Calphalon Contemporary or Tri-Ply, thicker than Cuisinart Multi-Clad, but a shade thinner than All-Clad, if you're familiar with those brands. The lid is solidly built and fits tightly.

It cooks very evenly on my GE induction range, more so than my other pans. in fact It's more even than my any of my aluminum pans, which surprised the hell out of me.

It also heats quickly, but so do a lot of my pans. The Thermolon coating is performing about as well as you'd expect given that I've had it less than a month. Nothing sticks and cleanup is a soapy sponge away.

Of course I've no idea how long it will last, or how a dishwasher will affect it, but I wanted you to know how well-built the pan is and how well it performs in ways that aren't dependent on the nonstick coating. If you choose the Spirit line and it loses it's nonstick abilities, you'll still have excellent clad cookware. You can then treat it like bare stainless cookware and still get a lifetime of use from it. In short, it's solid stuff. Enjoy!

o

Thanks again FLsandytoes. I do have my induction cooktop but it isn't installed yet :( . We are putting our kitchen cabinets in section by section and the cook-top will be the last section. In a way it's good that it hasn't been installed yet. I'm still researching the various cookware available and reading a lot of reviews. Since cookware is such an expense, I really don't want to make any mistakes. I do have some cast iron fry pans and a steel griddle that I'll start cooking with temporarily - just no sauce pans.

If anyone else has any suggestions please chime in. We like to cook but we both hate cleanup so we're only considering dishwasher safe cookware.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here