Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Saucepans WITHOUT long handles?

caflowerluver
17 years ago

I have looked at All Clad, Calphalon, Emerilware, Kirkland and everything seems to have very long handles. I find the long handles hard to use with mid-fifties arthritis and Carpal Tunnel in my hands. Are there any SS clad 1, 3, 6 qt. sauce pans out there that don't have such long handles? I like the all metal handles so they can go from stove top to oven, but it seems with the very long handles they might not fit so well in the oven.

I am use to shorter ones on my old Revere ware. I wish I would have bought the Revere Proline they had years ago, now discontinued, because they had dutch oven handles on all the saucepans not the long handles. Easier for me to use. Also I can just see me hitting the long handles when cooking on the stove top and tipping them over.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (23)

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anyone heard of Kaiser Hoff or Bergner SS cookware? I like the handles on them, more like casseroles or dutch oven handles. That is what I am looking for in a good set of pots.
    Thanks.
    clare

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Clare, in a pinch anyone with a hacksaw and a drill can shorten and reshape the handles. So you might consider that if there's a design you otherwise like.

If you can't find anyone to do this for you, take the cookware to a machine shop and explain what you want done.

• canvir
    17 years ago

You might want to check the Wolfgang Puck line on HSN or TJM.

It isn't all clad, but has the clad bottom and many styles with short handles.

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/dept/default.aspx?sf=qc&dept=qc0001&prev=hp!sf!181&attr=181&cm_re=LN*Depart*Cookware&CurPage=1

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

gardenlad - Good idea! I never thought of that.

canvir - Thanks for the link. They look good but do they feel good. I hate to order things sight unseen because I like to lift them, check the weight, balance and feel. I wonder if any store sells them? We live way out in the boonies far from any big stores without a very long drive. I guess I will have to do that just to check out all the different pans out there.

I did check out Target's Kitchen Essentials® from Calphalon® today and was impressed with the weight and the handles didn't seem quite as long. Anyone have them? Are they any good?

Thanks.
    Clare

• dmlove
    17 years ago

I have Kitchen Essentials. They work very well, but the handles seem "regular size" to me and I think the pots are hard to lift when full (I'm about the same age as you). I'm not sure they're any different than any other "long handle" pots.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dmlove - Thanks for the input. I think the handles are shorter then some of the others. I was going to measure them but forgot. I measured my old Revere handles and they are 5". I wonder why the current trend is for longer handles? I could see using them on the big commercial stoves, but most residental stoves aren't that big. Even with my new Wolf I don't need really long handles, just bigger pots.
    Clare

• canvir
    17 years ago

Clare,

TJ Maxx has Wolfgang Puck pots and pans. I purchased a 10 inch chicken fryer there several years ago and it is one of my favorite.

Being of the "Senior" age I had problems with the weight of the new pots and pans line and did not find this fryer too heavy.

• sigh
    17 years ago

Clare,

If there's a BJ's Wholesale Club near you they also carry the Wolfgang Puck sets. You don't need to be a member to shop there (I think there's a 5% surcharge if you're not a member but they're forever giving out shopping passes).

I saw some Kitchenaid pots yesterday in Marshalls that had the dutch oven type handles on pans the size of saucepans but there were red enamel on the outside with a nonstick interior. My mom has very bad arthritis & always used corningware exclusively as she couldn't grip the long handles on other pots. They go from stovetop to oven, true, but they weigh a ton & I'd be leery of using them on something as powerful (and luscious) as a WOlf.

Good luck,

Nina

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

canvir - We have a TJ Maxx over the other side of the Santa Cruz Mts. I think I will have to drive over there to check out a better selection of pots and pans.

sigh - I don't know if we have BJ's Wholesale Club locally. I will have to check. So are Wolfgang Puck good? I am thinking of getting the pots with the type of handles you describe. It is mainly the Carpal Tunnel that makes it difficult to lift and carry a heavy pot with one handle. I like the handles on each side, gives me better control and being able to put it in the oven is a plus.

And I have been waiting 20 years at this house for the kitchen remodel and Wolf. It was worth the wait. Now all I need is a good set of heavy duty cookware and I am set.

Thanks everyone.
    Clare

• sigh
    17 years ago

Clare,

BJs looks like an East Coast thing so I'm guessing that the nearest one to you will be father than the nearest TJ Maxx! Personally I am a big fan of the "helper" handle and usually use two hands for my pots & skillets regardless of how many handles they have.

My pots are by Cuisinart & the handles are long...almost too long for the dish washer. But the handles themselves are very comfortable in my hands. I have no cooking experience with the Puck cookware but I've seen pieces at TJ Maxx as well so you might be able to test lift some.

I hear you about the wait. We just finished the kitchen after 12 years of living with the existing, wretched kitchen & user hostile layout. One of the things on my wish list was a serious range as opposed to the EZ Bake oven that I had been using previously. Mine is an all gas Viking and I love it. Very simple, very basic & more than powerful enough for me. Also the least expensive out of all of the pro style ranges that fit my criteria
    ;-).

Nina

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Clare, is that a TJ Maxx or a TJ Maxx Home store? I've never been in a regular TJ Maxx but the home store has a lot of good stuff. Where is the one you're talking about?

• velodoug
    17 years ago

A friend received a beautiful big sauté pan with a long handle for Christmas several years ago. We were at her place for dinner the first time she used it. She preheated her (NYC apt) gas oven to some sort of high temperature, seared a couple of steaks on one side in the pan, opened the oven door with one hand, picked up the pan by its big long comfortable and cool-to-the-touch handle with the other hand, and found that the pan didn't fit in the oven! The steaks were fine - she finished them on the second side on top of the range - but she was disappointed that she couldn't use her new pan the way she hoped. She went back to using her old cast iron skillet for steaks.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sigh - It was between a Viking and the Wolf. DH just liked the Wolf more and he was paying the bill! ;>)

dmlove - I sent you an email.

velodoug - I don't know why they are making all the pans with long handles. What are they good for? I prefer my steaks out on the grill. One nice thing about CA, is we can grill all year long.

Thanks.
    Clare

• mrsmarv
    17 years ago

Have you looked at Anolog cookware? I have a small saucepan from their non-defunct "Professional" line, and the handles are regular in length. Anolon makes some decent cookware. I have the Sam's Club Member's Mark triple-ply all clad (whew!) cookware. It cost me less than $130 for an 11-piece set a while back. I do like it, the handles are comfortable, and it's very easy to maneuver. I do have arthritis and have issues with lifting. My enameled cast-iron cookware is a bit heay to use on an every day basis, but I do love the way it braises and slow-cooks.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mrsmarv - Thanks for the information about the products. I will have to go and check out all the different pots in person. That is the only way to tell if they will work for me. I love my enameled cast iron dutch oven. Even though it is heavy I can lift it because of the 2 handles. They should make more pots like that with 2 handles for us older cooks.
    Clare

• mrsmarv
    17 years ago

Actually, the largest saute/fry pan in the Sam's Club set has a "helper handle", which makes it so much easier to move. And I agree with you...they should make more pots/pans with 2 handles for ease of use. Good luck with your research ;o)
    Nora

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

>sigh - It was between a Viking and the Wolf.Am I missing something here, Clare? What could there possibly be about a Viking that you would prefer it to a Wolf?

• nwesterner
    17 years ago

I purchased a couple Wolfgang Puck saucepans at TJMaxx for my DIL. She has a smoothtop and I've used the pans there a few times and they seem to work fine for what we cooked. I also have small and arthritic hands and like my Sitram but really don't like the long handles either. I have a Kitchenaid smoothtop range and they limit oven use. I do wish I had thought of looking for something with a helper handle also. We don't have a Sam's club nearby (yet) but the Member's Mark sounds good. I have some larger cast iron that I use and like, but the weight (and getting it in and out of my limited storage) is an issue for me now. I can now relate to my MIL in the earlier years commenting on their weight and I couldn't understand why, LOL.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

gardenlad - I liked both styles and I think I might have liked the Viking grates more, it has been awhile so I foget. DH picked Wolf because he is an engineer and he thought it was constructed better and, like I said before, he was paying. Viking owners don't shoot the messenger.

nwesterner - Thanks for the information about the Wolfgang Puck pots. I will have to check them out. Cast iron is great except for the weight. What a drag it is getting old!

Clare

• spexet
    17 years ago

Clare...if comfort and performance is what you're after, go for the Italian-made Piazza cookware! Here's the website of one of their distributors. (Where I bought mine.)

http://www.silverspoonweb.com/Catalog.aspx?sm=4_4

Piazza cookware is mostly marketed to professional kitchens, but individuals can buy pieces as well. The cookware performs really well, and it is THE MOST COMFORTABLE cookware I've ever used.

Piazza offers saucepans (with long handles), but they also offer what they call "cookpots" (two short handles). The handles are BIG -- made of tubular steel, and welded onto the sides. There's absolutely no comparison with other brands like All-Clad when it comes to comfort.

The only downside I see is you don't often see these pans in stores catering to home cooks. If you have a restaurant supply house near you, you might be able to see them there. Otherwise, you can buy them online like I did.

• bmorepanic
    2 years ago

Check out "casserole", "soup pot" or dutch oven or braiser. These are the names for pots with handles on both sides that are short. Tramontina has some tri-ply that are lovely to use - I got a 5 quart dutch oven that I'm happy with. So does Cuisinart.

If you can use hard anodized pans, they can be less than half the pan weight. All Clad Essentials often have dual handles and reasonable prices (4 All Clad anyway). I got the wee egg frying pan and it's a real treat to use - works well but also light.

Calphalon has a collection of hard anodized pans called Premier Space Saving and about half of it has two handles. Good luck shopping!

• Michael Heuring
    2 years ago

You may want to check out stock pots instead. Specify the size in quarts you want in your search as these tend to be larger. And see if you find something to meet your needs.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer