Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

Please Help Me Choose Steak Knives

friedajune
18 years ago

I am looking to buy a steak knife set. I know that I will get recommendations for Henckels or Wusthof, but I prefer the appearance of raditional rosewood handles. I also know that I do not want serrated edge steak knives. And I do not like those big beefy knives (sorry for the pun) that you see in steak restaurants. Then there's the question of square bolster vs. round bolster. And whether I should buy the steak knives that come with a case for convenient storage. That's a lot of decisions.

I have been considering the Sabatier Provence steak knife set. They do not come with a case. They have wood handles of "stablewood" (whatever that is), not the traditional rosewood. Please let me know what you think, or if you have any other advice (like do I need the case or not? should I give up on the rosewood handle? etc.). Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sabatier Steak Knife Set

Comments (8)

• mercedes_stewart
    18 years ago

Sabatier makes good knives and those Provence steak knives look like a good deal for the price. I own Laguiole steak knives (not by Sabatier) which come in a lovely box. Will you need the box? You might. I have a wide cutlery drawer with a divider so my steak knives have their own compartment but I only have two of my steak knives in use, the rest stay in their own box.

Have you checked the Kullenschliff steak knives Lamson Sharp makes (with rosewood handles)? (Scroll half way down the page to see them.)

Round or square bolster... I'd think it's just a matter of taste. Partial bolsters are better when it comes to sharpening but Lamson offers free lifetime sharpening.

Hope this helps.

• lindac
    18 years ago

I have Gerber Miming....think I have a dozen....maybe only 8. I have had them for years and years....don't think they make them any more. But I love their looks and the way they have stood up all these years.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Gerber

• calvin1g
    18 years ago

We got a LamsonSharp for Christmas two years ago and I love it. It's a 6" utility knife with rosewood handles and nickle rivets. We also have some Wusthof, Henckels, F. Dick and Forshner and love them too. Although the picture on the website Mercedes posted doesn't show a box, it shouldn't be too tough to check. I think you'll love them as well.

Cal

• shannonplus2
    18 years ago

Anolon makes a 6-piece steak knife set with a presentation case, a smooth edge and wood handles. The handles are not rosewood, but they are definitely wood. Cutleryandmore.com sells the set for $120. Personally, I think the Sabatier's you linked to would look a little more elegant on a dining table than the Anolons, but if you want a knife case, the Anolons come with one.

IMHO, I think you can compromise on the carrying case, or else compromise on the rosewood handles. If you are willing to compromise on the rosewood handles, I recommend Messermeister Meridian Elite, which does come in a lovely case. If you are looking for the hands-down best bargain, it's the Forschner straight-edge steak knife set, with your rosewood handles, but no case, for $75. Cooks Illustrated magazine has mentioned the Forschner brand several times as being a lot of bang for the buck.

I am in full agreement that a smooth edge, not serrated. is best for a steak knife. Here is a link to an article that explains why that expensive steak will be more enjoyable when cut with a smooth edge steak knife rather than a serrated edge (better texture and retains juices). I am not sure where that Lamsonsharp Kullenschliff, with its hollows on the sides, fits in with that philosophy though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steak Knife Edge Article

• mercedes_stewart
    18 years ago

I am not sure where that Lamsonsharp Kullenschliff, with its hollows on the sides, fits in with that philosophy though.

Kullenschliff steak knives = fine edge.

• lindac
    18 years ago

Why do you need a "carrying case" for steak knives??? Mine are in a drawer. I would never use them if I had to open a case and get one out each time I used it!

• asolo
    18 years ago

Get fine-edge knives. Also be advised that they will likely take more frequent keening than other kitchen knives because they're typically used at-the-table cutting against a hard ceramic plate. That use will turn their edges much more readily than typical kitchen-knives used against cutting boards.

Can't remember how many otherwise nice settings were prepared for me along with "steak knives" that were essentially useless for their purpose because of their unintended dullness.

• friedajune
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thought I'd bump up this thread just cause I had a funny experience at a steak restaurant last night. It was quite a nice (expensive) restaurant. We ordered the Porterhouse for Two. When the waiter brought it to our table, he offered to cut it to divide it for the two of us. His knife was really dull, but he kept sawing away until we couldn't stand being polite anymore and stopped him, and said we'd do it ourselves! He shreadded an otherwise gorgeous steak. I commented to him that his knife was dull, and he looked at me like he had no idea what I was saying. I guess that few customers care or notice that their steak isn't finely and neatly cut at table. Also, the steak knives we were given for our place setting were those gigantic ones with the serrated edge that have become almost cliche at steak restaurants. The steak was delicious though.

I never got around to buying the steak knife set I'd posted about originally. I am still determined to get the fine edge type. Shannon, that link articulated the choice very well. And those Messermeisters look sharp (pun intended)! Oh, and Lindac, it's not that I need a "carrying" case; I need a storage case for the knives.