Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannbm

new stainless steel flatware rusting

joannbm
18 years ago

I recently purchased new ss flatware which is beginning to have small rust spots on the knive blade. Could the dishwasher detergent I am using be the culprit? I am using Cascade Pure Rinse formula. I also thought I may be overstuffing the basket so I cut back on the items in the basket but I am still seeing the rust spots. Has this happened to anyone before???

Comments (10)

• mercedes_stewart
    18 years ago

Oh, yes!

I don't think the dishwasher detergent has anything to do with this. I use Kirkland's liquid DW detergent and anything SS gets rust spots if I don't dry the blasted things right away (my dishwasher is set to "air dry" so that makes things even worse). My grandma's stainless steel NEVER rusted, even when left wet. The stuff they make nowadays should not be called stainless because it just isn't.

• canvir
    18 years ago

I think it depends on the grade of stainless.

18/0 does not hold up well in the dishwasher,

18/8 or 18/10 does.

• joannbm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to you both. The ss is 18/10 so I thought it would be good enough that I would not run into this problem. I know, Mercedes, my mother's ss (I'm 54) NEVER has had rust stains either. I did notice that it is made in China. I'm sure my mom's was USA made. At this rate I really don't want to be fighting this, I think I will return and look for a USA made ss flatware - if that exists!

• Melic
    18 years ago

Just found this quote:

"Unfortunately, there are no stainless steel flatware patterns manufactured in the USA any longer, since Oneida closed their last factory in December 2004."

see the rest of the explanation at link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Patterns made in the United States

• mercedes_stewart
    18 years ago

Joan,

My set is "American Harmony" (18/8 ss) by Oneida made in the USA. I bought it 7 years ago. I don't know what causes the stains. Sometimes I think it isn't the actual Oneida flatware rusting but other SS things it might come in contact while in the dishwasher that cause it to stain. For the next few days I will place the Oneida pieces separate from the other SS utensils in the dishwasher and report back. Now that I think about it, none of my (made in China) SS kitchen tongs has rust stains... Anyway, I'll let you know.

• happytime_ca
    18 years ago

I had the same problem & was told it is cause by using dishwasher soap with lemon (or citrus) in it, since I have stopped using it I have not had a problem.

• mercedes_stewart
    18 years ago

LOL!!!! Happytime, that's got to be one of the funniest things I've read on these forums.

Anyway, Joanntx, if you're still reading this thread, I said I'd report back... Well, for over a week now I've been placing the Oneida SS flatware in the dishwasher in two baskets where they are not in contact with other metal utensils. No more rust stains. Problem solved :).

Oh, and BTW, the Kirkland liquid DW detergent I use has lemon in it. ;)

• solarpowered
    18 years ago

I don't know about the Kirkland liquid DW detergent, but the Kirkland granulated detergent was so strong that it stripped the decoration off a lot of my glassware and plates. So beware! (This was two or three years ago--they might have changed the formulation in the meantime.)

Usually, the Kirkland products are really good. This seems to be an exception.

• fenworth
    18 years ago

I occasionally have the same problem with my Lennox 18/10. I'm not sure of the cause but suspect it might be related to overexposure to acidic things such as tomato sauce.

I use enzyme-based detergent so I don't rinse anymore but try to make an exception on my flatware after a night of Italian. I asked about it at a Lennox outlet where they shrugged their shoulders but suggested I try Barkeepers Friend on it. Works like a charm. I do it as needed which is usually every few months. In fact I just did it this past weekend. Use enough water and rub gently so you don't scratch your knives.

- James

• industrialdesign
    14 years ago

I had the same problem with CB2 flatware! I recently got married and the flatware was a wedding present. I was horrified that the pieces started developing rust spots within a month! I had been washing them in the dishwasher, so I thought maybe I had not noticed some instructions to handwash or something and was to blame. I also had the same problem with our new ss knife set.

I too used Cascade, and I think it had some citrus stuff in it. I'll try washing with some non-citrus detergent and hopefully won't ruin ALL of it...