Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Vented vs. non-vented glass lids

Frankie_in_zone_7
14 years ago

Thanks to all the previous posters, as I have really enjoyed reading previous posts and am learning a lot about cookware.

I've always had non-vented glass lids but have seen some that are vented. One of the points in favor, I have read, is not getting as steamed up so better visibility.

But, are there downsides? Like, does the vent let too much liquid escape or cause you to use a higher burner temp to compensate for evaporative heat loss? Or burn you if you get near the vent?

I cook a lot of rice and always try to use a pot with a "tight-fitting lid". So I thought a vented lid would work against me on that, but I see rice cookers themselves are usually vented.

I guess scientifically, if the pot is really boiling, the steam will get out anyway, versus if you have the burner on very low, you're not making much steam, so a vent is not making that worse. I found some pots I think I might like, but they have vented lids and since I don't have experience with that, I was trying to think how it would, or wouldn't, affect my cooking approach and results.

Any preferences or experiences to share?

Comments (5)