Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size stock pot

Posted by tpag2000 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 1, 12 at 11:30

This feels like a silly question to be asking here, but I just can't come to a decision for whatever reason. I recently upgraded to an induction cooktop (36" Bosch 500 series) and am loving it. I knew going in that many of my pots and pans likely wouldn't work (cheaper and older stainless that wasn't magnetic "enough"). I decided to take the opportunity to downsize the set of pots and pans I had while upgrading to some nicer and induction compatible models. I think I have just about everything I need for now with the exception of a "medium" sized stock pot. What I'm stuck on is deciding between an 8-qt (probably with a pasta insert) or a 12-qt. Right now I have 2 pots that fit the "stock pot like" category a 6.5 qt Le Creuset dutch oven and a 16 qt Le Creuset stock pot (enameled steel). I rarely use the 16-qt pot because it is just a monster, but it comes in handy when I make very large batches of soups or boil shrimp indoors.

In the transition I lost a 6-qt stock pot and an 8-qt "pasta pot". I think the 6.5 qt dutch oven is going to be my new "go to" pot for many of the things I cook (lot's of gumbo's, stews, chili, etc) which I previously made in the 6-qt stock pot. I need a pot for making pasta and the 8-qt would surely be big enough most of the time (family of 4). I have mixed feelings about the pasta inserts. The one I had didn't reach down far enough so you needed more water than you would otherwise which led to boiling over and spitting, but they are very convenient for easy straining. On the other hand, the 12-qt would be large enough for me to make a large batch of gumbo without having to resort to the 16-qt. The 16-qt always feels too big to me, but it has it's uses when I need to feed a large crowd, or am making extra for freezing.

What do I do to make this seemingly simple decision?

FYI, I'm looking at these after reading some reviews here and at the walmart site:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-qt.-18-10-TriPly-Clad-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot/5716480

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-12-Qt.-18-10-TriPly-Clad-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-80116-517/5716479

Thanks,

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size stock pot

Try posting on the Cooking Forum. You'll get more responses. It's a little slow here.

Here is a link that might be useful: cooking forum

o
RE: What size stock pot

You say you want a "stock pot"....but what you are taking about is a Dutch oven.
If you really want a stock pot, to boil up bones and stuff to make stock....go with the 16 quart...which you have.
Get the 8 qt spaghetti pot with the insert....and make sure it has a clad bottom so you can use it for soups as well.
Linda c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here