Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tpag2000

What size stock pot

tpag2000
12 years ago

This feels like a silly question to be asking here, but I just can't come to a decision for whatever reason. I recently upgraded to an induction cooktop (36" Bosch 500 series) and am loving it. I knew going in that many of my pots and pans likely wouldn't work (cheaper and older stainless that wasn't magnetic "enough"). I decided to take the opportunity to downsize the set of pots and pans I had while upgrading to some nicer and induction compatible models. I think I have just about everything I need for now with the exception of a "medium" sized stock pot. What I'm stuck on is deciding between an 8-qt (probably with a pasta insert) or a 12-qt. Right now I have 2 pots that fit the "stock pot like" category a 6.5 qt Le Creuset dutch oven and a 16 qt Le Creuset stock pot (enameled steel). I rarely use the 16-qt pot because it is just a monster, but it comes in handy when I make very large batches of soups or boil shrimp indoors.

In the transition I lost a 6-qt stock pot and an 8-qt "pasta pot". I think the 6.5 qt dutch oven is going to be my new "go to" pot for many of the things I cook (lot's of gumbo's, stews, chili, etc) which I previously made in the 6-qt stock pot. I need a pot for making pasta and the 8-qt would surely be big enough most of the time (family of 4). I have mixed feelings about the pasta inserts. The one I had didn't reach down far enough so you needed more water than you would otherwise which led to boiling over and spitting, but they are very convenient for easy straining. On the other hand, the 12-qt would be large enough for me to make a large batch of gumbo without having to resort to the 16-qt. The 16-qt always feels too big to me, but it has it's uses when I need to feed a large crowd, or am making extra for freezing.

What do I do to make this seemingly simple decision?

FYI, I'm looking at these after reading some reviews here and at the walmart site:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-qt.-18-10-TriPly-Clad-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot/5716480

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-12-Qt.-18-10-TriPly-Clad-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-80116-517/5716479

Thanks,

Tim

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County