Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

High heat, stainless steel fry pan, brands, Demeyer copper etc.

marys1000
16 years ago

I was doing some searching in my quest for a new big frying pan and found this older post. It was followed by a post I haven't cut and pasted that mentioned in the same article that one of the tests left a pan on a heated burner for awhile and while all were damaged a couple actually basically came apart "with molten metal spilling everywhere".

Ok - I'm 51 and have some bad habits. I like to cook on high, and I will walk away from the stove when cooking. The only major disasters have been with hummingbird sugar water and ruining 2 older le creuset pots. I apparently don't have much patience for watching water boil or food cook.

I realize that nothing is indestructible and am trying to monitor my ways (but they probably aren't going to do a 180).

Right now I have another post on replacing a cheap frying pan. I was thinking of hard anodized non-stick like my small analon which seems to have held up ok but perhaps I should give SS a try?

Should I stay away from any SS with copper? Does Copper have a lower melting temperature?

I don't think the Kitchen Aid lines have changed from 2005 as listed below - actually a lot of their ss fry pans are non-stick. Anyone with experience with the current line? Viking?

Demeyere - do they all have copper somwhere? What's the difference between their two lines besides looks?

I saw where one said for induction cooktops stops heating at 485? I don't have induction but it sounded intriguinging.

Any other suggestions for someone who tends to cook on high with impatience? (Besides changing my ways?)

Start quote from older post, I cut the non stick part

For what its worth, this from the Dec '05 issue of Consumer Reports. Cookware was rated on cooking evenness, non-stick durability (if applicable), safety, comfort, sturdiness, and ease of cleaning. Bottom line, there's no practical reason to spend a lot of money on cookware.

Uncoated (16 tested)

1) KitchenAid Gourmet Essentials Brushed Stainless

2) Calphalon Contemporary

3) Emerilware Stainless

4) Magnalite Classic

5) Member's Mark (Sam's Club) Tri-Ply-Clad Item 955462

Notables: 8) All-Clad Master Chef 2 700393, 10) All-Clad Copper Core 6000-7SS, 38) Viking Professional Starter Set

Comments (2)