Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kickypants

Where to buy a Salton 1 quart yogurt maker - in Canada

kickypants
16 years ago

I'm having so much trouble finding yogurt makers of any kind. The one that I am paricularly searching for is a Salton 1 Quart Yogurt Maker because it makes one big batch instead of using all those little jars. I would rather find one from a store than use the internet (ebay etc)and not know what I'm going to end up with. I've emailed the company a few days ago...no luck yet. Any Canadians out there that know where I might dig one up? I'm on the West Coast.

Comments (8)

• awm03
    16 years ago

I bought mine online from Amazon. It's a simple contraption: I wouldn't worry about not knowing what you'll end up with, if your concern is shipping damage. The container that holds the yogurt is tough, non-brittle plastic, so you don't have to worry about that cracking in transit. The heating device is all one piece, so you can't lose parts. It's also made of tough plastic. Mine came well packed for shipping protection.

I'm very happy with it, btw. The yogurt is every bit as good as Dannon Plain.

• kickypants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love homemade yogurt too, my mom has been making it for 25 years. I just have a hard time paying $20 for shipping a $12 item! ANd I really have trepedations about sending it via the mail...Canada Post is not known for TLC. It's hard for us Canadians!! It is good to know that they package them really well. I still haven't had a reply from my email to Salton. Did you get the Salton 1 Quart? Enjoy your yummy yogurt!!

• awm03
    16 years ago

Yes I did get the Salton 1 qt. Are there any inexpensive ones on Ebay? You'd still be paying more for shipping than the item itself, but at least the total would be lower.

• kickypants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found a supplier for a much better yogurt maker here in the Vancouver area!!! I am sooo freaking happy! I now have a Yolife. It comes with glass jars and comes with an extra tall lid so that I can use my own containers/jars and make larger batches...yippee!!

• awm03
    16 years ago

yay!! So glad you found a yogurt maker you like without having to buy online. Enjoy your homemade yogurt. I find it's especially delicious sweetened with homemade jam :)

• kickypants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THe yogurt turned out perfectly! My 6 yr old prefers it to any of those flavoured bought ones...she doesn't mind that it isn't quite as puddingy either. Next I'm going to try using my own large jars (2 litres in total) and the tall lid. I'm thinking it may take more time.
    I still wonder why none of the online shopping places will ship yogurt makers to Canada! It's not like the terrorists can't get hold of them to make biological weapons...just us moms who are trying to make our families a bit healthier!

• awm03
    16 years ago

What recipe do you use? I use 1 quart milk with 1/2 cup powdered milk added. Heat to 180 degrees F, cool to 105 degrees F. Add 1/2 cup Dannon Plain or homemade yogurt. Incubate for 4 to 5 hours.

I've read where the powdered milk adds to the creaminess. Also, you can use your homemade yogurt as a starter but it weakens after several generations, so use store-bought yogurt every now & then.

By the way, homemade yogurt makes the best biscuits!

2 cups flour
    1 stick butter
    4 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    3/4 cup plain yogurt

With a mixer or by hand, blend flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, & baking soda. Cut cold butter into chunks, then cut into flour until flour looks mealy & many small chunks of butter remain. Stir in yogurt, mix until all flour is incorporated. Add a little water if necessary to incorporate remaining flour. Turn out onto a floured countertop. Knead & flip the dough a few times on the floured countertop so the dough isn't sticky. Pat into a square about 8" by 8", & 3/4 inch to 1 inch thick. (The dough is soft & pillowy.) Cut into 3x4 or 3x3 rows & columns with a floured knife, depending on your desired biscuit size. Arrange biscuits close together on a baking pan, bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes.

Substitute 1/2 cup whole wheat or rye flour for some of the regular flour for a nice accompaniment to stews & soups. These are quick to make & very good.

• jemakeb
    16 years ago

To kickypants,

Where did you find your yogurt maker? I've been phoning every appliance place in our city, and out to the valley and can't find one.

thanks