Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerrymb

Copper pan VS what? as best saucepan for a special sauce

jerrymb
18 years ago

Well, when you prepare a special sauce, what pan do you grab? Does anyone use a copper pan? do you think that copper is the pan of choice or is that not your thinking at all. Do you have a special pan? or do you just grap any of your sauce pans? Do you prefer a saucier or windsor over a straight wall? what about a rolled lip, how important is that to you?

Comments (18)

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

My pans are copper, so of course it's the first one I grab! Yes, I like a saucier, since it's easy to stir, but usually I make a sauce with whatever drippings are in the bottom of pan that I've browned something in. Often that's a roasting pan (also copper) or a frying pan (copper or cast iron). Personally, I don't prefer a rolled lip to a straight side, but the pan is determined more by what comes before the sauce!

• triciae
    18 years ago

I also mostly use copper. My cookware is all copper/SS lined except for my LC cast iron pieces & one SS large stockpot.

I reach for the copper for virtually all sauces except any I want to cook slowly for a long period to reduce...then I reach for my LC Windsor which I love for that purpose.

Exceptions: Quick de-glazing sauces for steaks, chops, etc.

• jerrymb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Claire__de__Luna, I can see your point if your starting the sauce from another pan, I was thinking of sauces starting in the sauce pan, Interesting, why do you not favor a rolled lip?

• jerrymb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

TriciaE, so your another one that is primary using copper,do you find that you have to watch the pan a little more since the heat output of copper can change quicker and be more intense

• triciae
    18 years ago

No, Jerry. It's the opposite. I've had my copper for 30 years & know how every pans responds. I tend to "forget" the LC cast iron thinking it will be fine and end up wishing I'd paid closer attention!

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

Jerry, it's not that I don't favor a rolled lip, it's just that I don't prefer one over the other!

The copper pans are more responsive to heat, but because of that I find I don't need to crank the heat to cook, but instead can get better results, sometimes with less flame. Also, because they do respond so well, they will cool down quickly when you're done cooking, which is why they are so good for things like delicate sauces. The cast iron on the other hand, retains heat so well I find I need to remove food from the pan once it's finished cooking. Also, you can't really start cooking in cast iron until the pan is hot, which may take a few minutes to preheat; whereas with copper, you can start cooking very quickly.

• jerrymb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

what are some of the copper cookware companys that you like? any that you dont? do you guys like tin or stainless interior better?

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

My cookware is mostly Mauviel, although I have some American made Revere pieces, and a couple from Portugal. I like them all. I find a tin lining to be a little more non-stick than stainless steel, so depending on what I'm making, I'll choose my pan accordingly. My saucier and skillets are SS lined; everything else is tin. I like them both. You will have to have your tin lined pans retinned eventually if you use them a lot, and for this reason some people prefer to buy a pot that is SS lined. They are more expensive when you make your initial investment for that reason. If you're experimenting to see how you like it, I'd start with a tin lining, since it will last a long time as long as you don't expose it to high heat (but then you shouldn't need to). I have some thin copper, and some professional thick copper cookware, also good depending on what you're using it for. I like the weight of the professional copper for sauce pans and stock pots, and like the thinner copper for my frying pan so I can flip food around like the food chefs. (No way could I do that with a heavy copper pan.) Just try a piece that speaks to you before you invest in a lot of this to see how you like it. (A saute pan is a good general purpose piece.) Some people find polishing copper a total nightmare, whereas I think it's kind of soothing. Once a week, I'll take one of my funkiest finishes and rub it with a paste of salt/lemon, then do a quick polish with something like Wenol. (On the other hand, you don't have to polish it at all if you don't want to.) My kitchen has various degrees of patina going on at all times...

• jerrymb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

would you rather have a windsor or straight sided copper sauce pan

• triciae
    18 years ago

This is half of my copper cookware. I don't know how to make multiple pixs on one post so please bear with me...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• triciae
    18 years ago

Here's more....Beside all this, I've got 3 more covered casseroles and a couple more 10" skillets. And, I just gave away a skillet on the Cooking Forum...lots of copper!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jerrymb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

TriciaE, a really sweet looking set of pans you have there, lol, Do you have a windsor sauce pan? if so do you like a windsor are straight sided sauce pan better? so you have been collecting for a while, whats your favorite pan of the bunch? JerryMB

• triciae
    18 years ago

Actually, Jerry, I've not been collecting for a while. I acquired almost half of the pans between 1976-1980. I got two in the mid-90's. The rest I just purchased a couple weeks ago. The total was 22 pans! Now, only 21 'cause I gave one away.

There's a recent thread over on the Cooking Forum somewhere that describes how I ended up with all this copper.

My favorite is in the first picture...it's the large round pan hanging from the top row of hooks on the left. That's my fav but not the one I use the most. The ones I use the most are the 4 qt saucepans & casseroles (I have both types) and the 10" skillets (I now have two...used to have three). My kitchen looks like a sales showroom for copper cookware........lol :o) I have way more than I need! There are only two of us, for Pete's Sake...how many pans could I possible need?? (throwing up hands in dismay)

I don't have a copper Windsor. My Windsor is LC.

• jerrymb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Triciae, so do you think a copper windsor would be not a good choice? i do have a All-clad LTD windsor, my other copper sauce pan is about 2.5 qt i am thinking of keeping this one and getting rid of the windsor, the windsor is about 2 qt, what do you you think of the LC cast iron/enamel rectangular baking dish with no cover, do you think their as good as the earthern ware, like clay? JerryMB

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I know this is a very old thread, but I have to thank you all anyway :) I needed a lovely gift for DH to go with his new french range and wanted to do copper cookware, but didn't know much about it. I've taken what people had to say into account and purchased a mix of tin lined and SS lined, from Ruffino (Ok that was more for me because I love the lid heh heh) and the rest of the pieces are Mauviel. I can't wait to see them in action!

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

igloochic, it's nice to know you find the information relevant. Please come back and let us know what you think of your copper pots/pans after you've had a chance to use them.

• alexrander
    15 years ago

ah well, I would have recommended the Bourgeat copper. Curved edges, thick, polished stainless lined - with nice handles. I own the lighter Mauviel cuprinox 'style' with stainless handles (also has the pouring lip edge).

• minette99
    15 years ago

I just bought my very first piece of Mauviel copper today -- a sauté pan. I have always wanted to try copper cookware... can't wait to use this! It is tin lined and I found it at Home Good for $60.00.