Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deep fryer

Posted by black-thumb (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 25, 09 at 9:24

Which would you prefer to have and why?

A deep fryer that has one large bin that comes with three baskets two medium and one large or a deep fryer that has two seperate fyers each with one medium basket. I'm not sure the two seperate fryers are worth $90. Although it might be nice to have them seperate one for fish one for other meats and other fry foods. Of course if one breaks then your stuck with just one anyway. The single fryer it might be nice to have a large single basket for fryed chicken or larger quantities of fish fries etc.

Link for Dual Fryer there is a video. Elite brand from HSN

http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/elite-stainless-steel-dual-basket-deep-fryer_p-4731159_xp.aspx

or

This one is from Brylane Home $70

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deep fryer

Be aware that all of these 110v deep-fryers are suitable for only small batches at a time. The small quantity oil, the terrific heat loss upon immersion, and the inability of 110v to keep the oil temp where it needs to be are problems with all of them.

Also be aware that any deep-fryer puts a lot of oil into the air which will soon coat anything and everything close to it. You'll want to position it under a good vent.

o
ps to previous

PS to the OP.......

Be careful about mixing foods in the same oil. In particular, don't use the same oil for fish and other items. You can get away with multiple useage for chicken or potatoes but if you fry fish, shrimp, scallops, etc. and then fry anything else in that oil.....it will ALL taste like fish.

o

They both come with lids to keep the splatter in.

Thats why I am considering getting the one with two seperate bins so one can be for fish and the other for other foods.

Thanks!

o

NEVER deep fry with a lid on! Dangerous! That moisture must be allowed free escape! Splatter isn't the issue.

o

FWIW...May/ June 2009 issue of Cooks Illustrated just published equipment test for electric deep fryers. (They much prefer pot-on-stove with thermometer clipped on -- as do I) Issue also has two pages on making tempura shrimp. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric Deep Fryer Review from Cooks Illustrated.

o

I got the dual fryer from HSN and love it! The food turns out great and for once I was able to fry chicken and have it turn out crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. I'm happy with it wouldn't trade it in for anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here